Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice line dead, ADSL working??

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Voice line dead, ADSL working??

Just tried to call someone and the voice line is dead, but the ADSL is still working?
Tried unplugging everything and tryong phone in master socket along, still nothing?
17 REPLIES 17
pint
Aspiring Pro

Re: Voice line dead, ADSL working??

Update, got a strange siren noise on the line now
Stuck on hold to plusnet, tried reconnecting router and adsl has now gone down
pint
Aspiring Pro

Still stuck on hold.
dial tone came back briefly followed by some dial type noises then a very feint number not recognised voice, now the lines dead again.
currently got the mastersocket faceplate off to disconnect everything, and a corded phone plugged into the internal socket.
anyone got a number for plusnet that someone will answer?Huh
would it be faster if i contact a moderator on here/ Report this to a moderator?
pint
Aspiring Pro

Still on hold, if no one picks up in the next 10 minutes i will report this for a moderator to look at
pint
Aspiring Pro

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212
says longest call waiting time is 4 Days, average is 17 minutes 18 seconds
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Moderators are customers not staff and can't fix anything
picbits
Rising Star

The 4 day waiting thing is a bug with the system - you'll probably wait a maximum of 17 minutes.
Sounds very much like a crossed / faulty line so will need looking at.
pint
Aspiring Pro

Finally someone picked up the phone, been esculated to BT ( or whoever)
all extensions are unplugged, the faceplates off the master socket and the phone and router are plugged into the internal socket.
If you dial my number it gets the line busy answer phone ( 1571) type response.
If I pick up the phone and get a dial tone it sounds like someone trying to dial, or if left it goes to the please replace the handset and try again.
If the phone is put on the hook, and then lifted up again the please replace the handset and try again is still playing.

Or theres a few touch tone noises followed by the number you dialed is not recognised, which sounds very feint, with a lot of noise, then the line just drops dead with no dial tone or anything.
picbits
Rising Star

If you unplug your phone and dial in, does it sound like it is ringing ? It could be a faulty phone and it isn't hanging up / clearing the line properly.
If you unplug your phone, dial in from a mobile and it rings then it could be worth trying a different phone.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pint,
I've had a look and our suppliers have informed us that the issue is estimated to be resolved by 5pm on 05/06/2014.
Let us know if we can be of any assistance.
pint
Aspiring Pro

If the phone is unplugged and  call the number then it goes straight to the messaging service.
regardless of whats plugged in/whats not plugged into the phone line the results when dialing in are the same.
ADSL is till working, however ive not had speeds like this since a first signed up with Freeserve Broadband, download 0.6Meg, upload 0.29meg
picbits
Rising Star

Yup - sounds like one of your pair may have either been broken, cross wired with another customer at the exchange or possibly water ingress in a joint somewhere which is causing the crossed line.
pint
Aspiring Pro

Spoke to soon on the ADSL bit, its still there, but the speeds are even slower, adn nothing appears to be loading.
Thankfully my mobile phone is capable of tethering, now connected to my phones mobile hotspot.
pint
Aspiring Pro

Problem fixed, o the voice side of things anyway.
It was a short circuit and a bad connection in the street cabinet.
Hopefully the broadband will come back up to speed soon, currently on 0.6Mbps down, 0.89 up
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It should just be a case of waiting for your Current Line Speed (log-in required) to catch up with what should be a shiny new IP Profile.
You can confirm the IP Profile by doing the BTwholesale speed test, and then running Further Diagnostics.