cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very noisy line

Kati
Grafter

Very noisy line

For the past few days there has been a lot of noise on my phone line - static and loud crackling noises, to the point that I can barely hear the person on the other end of the line. I checked my broadband with the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance test and download speed seems ok at 7.70 but upload speed is only 0.76. Could this be the cause or a symptom of a noisy phone line and can it be fixed? My phone handset seems fine - batteries are fully charged. Also tested the phone in the test socket after removing the connected filter for the modem and the noise was even worse. Any advice on how this can be resolved would be most welcome. Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Very noisy line

Do you have a corded phone you can try with
Basically a phone fault has priority over a broadband fault so I would raise a phone fault
Kati
Grafter

Thanks Jim.
I don't have a corded phone, unfortunately, so cannot test the line that way. Should I re-post my query on the phone forum?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi Kati,
Poor broadband performance is a symptom of a noisy line.  That is why for slow broadband issues with noise present on the line, the guidance given is to get the voice line fault fixed by your phone service provider, before attempting to fix the broadband issue.  Further do not mention that you are raising a fault report because of broadband issues (unless PN is also your phone provider) as you'll be sent back to your ISP... And will end up running around in circles.
The best test for noise is to dial 17070 option 2.  You might well find that the noise comes and goes - the ringing voltage can clear noise off the line for a while.
If PN provide your phone, then you need to phone them (ideally on the noisy line) - their support staff will not be back on the forums until Monday morning.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Two threads merged and superfluous posts removed to help staff and the rest of us keep track of it
Kati
Grafter

Thanks Townman. PN is also my phone provider. I tried the 17070 option 2 and through the noise all I could hear was an intermittant voice saying 'quiet line test' but nothing more. Eventually I rang off.
All calls for the last few days have been very crackly - the ringing has not cleared the line - so seems pretty constant. Whenever I pick the phone up I hear the dial tone but lots of crackling. I asked someone I was speaking to if they could hear it and they said no, so it would seem to be at my end only.
Will phone PN tomorrow and see if they can help.
Thanks again  Smiley
Kati
Grafter

Well that was fun. Phoned PN and held on for 20 minutes before I was able to get hold of somebody and just as I was giving my security details I was cut off. Life is too short..... How do I raise a support ticket online?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You need to raise a phone fault here https://faults.plus.net
Kati
Grafter

Thank you Oldjim. Have used the link and raised a fault ticket though most of the questions were about broadband. No option to report just a phone fault but hopefully I have provided enough info for PN to address the problem.
Kati
Grafter

How do I find my support ticket to read any updates? Cannot seem to find it and have not had an acknowledgement from PN that they have received it. Usually they send an e mail.  Any suggestions?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think this link should let you view your support tickets https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search
Resist the temptation to add to the ticket as this sets you to the back of the queue.
You may have to wait several days before your ticket is even read.
Plusnet do not have means of dealing with phone faults more promptly than any other query (as I think they should).
Kati
Grafter

Thanks for your help and advice ReedRichards.I have managed to view my support ticket now. I have had to add info to the support ticket as the PN said that as my broadband was not working they will check my phone line but as I said in my initial post, my broadband works fine even though the upload number was low on the speed test it seems ok and the download was fine, the problem is purely a very noisy phone line and this is what needs addressing.
Their series of automated questions does not seem to deal with phone line issues, only bb so a person at their end needs to actually read the posts people put up rather than depend on a set automated formula. I agree, they should deal with phone faults more promptly than they do.
I like PN but their poor support does my head in sometimes!
LukeS
Grafter

Hi Kati,
I'm sorry to hear about the problems your experiencing. As you've used the broadband fault checker the questions are designed to identify the type of broadband fault you have. If you're just wanting to report a phone fault then you can do this through the help and support section. However, you will still need to confirm that another phone has been tried as well as the test socket.
I've tested the line and no fault has been found, that doesn't mean there isn't one but it does mean we'll have to arrange for an engineer to be sent out. If the engineer has finds the fault to be found with your equipment then you could be charged for the visit. I've replied to your ticket with our standard phone faults form, if you can have a read through that and let me know when you've replied I will book the engineer for you.
Kati
Grafter

Hi Luke,
Thanks for the reply. I have seen your response on the ticket and have replied. I have ordered new batteries for the phone even though the current set appear fine and the phone indicates it is fully charged. If that doesn't work I will borrow a phone to try and if that doesn't work I will let you know and arrange for the engineer then.
Why is it that people say if I reply or comment on a ticket I am sent to the back of the queue again? Doesn't that just make everything take a lot longer? Not a very fair system if that is the case. Undecided
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi Kati,
I cannot disagree with you.  This is a problem which has been known about for a long time with the ticketing system.
I suspect that there is a database sort query based on the longest "untouched" ticket being at the front of the queue.
That would be a very sensible approach if "untouched" meant "in a support queue and not touched by a SUPPORT person".
However it seems to mean "in a support queue and not touched by ANY person", thus if the user adds more information, it goes "further back in the queue.
Yet another issue for Jess to put into the service improvement priority pot...

Hope you soon have a fix on your line problem.  Given that your broadband is impacted, I doubt that the batteries in your phone will make any difference, but it is wise to eliminate all possibilities.  You could post your router stats here for us to take a look at.  See the "speed issues" thread at the top of the broadband forum.  You can post the results here to keep your issue all in one place.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.