Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless BT

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Useless BT

Last Wednesday an engineer arrived to fix a faulty line and found a shorting joint just out of reach from the junction box. He said contractors would have to dig and that would take a couple of days. Over a week later and no contractors I had a phone call from someone I could hardly understand asking if the phone had been fixed. When I explained that no one had been back to either dig the hole or repair the cable he mumbled something me not wanting my garden dug up to replace a  cable, the subject had never been mentioned. He mumbled something else about doing something then rang off. What has happened to BT?
7 REPLIES 7
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Useless BT

Hi glloyd,
I'm sorry to hear that your line is faulty.
What a peculiar sounding phone call.
I've got a fault update for you, but it's pretty hefty so I'll make sure that you're updated on Ticket: 92816024.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
glloyd
Rising Star

It get worse now PlusNet are telling me they have to get permission from the national grid to dig a small hole outside my garden. The junction box was replaced last year together with a length of cable with no mention of the national  grid because it goes no where near the nation grid. The junction box is outside my garden fence and the cable where the fault lies is 4 metres from my house travelling across my front garden how in gods name can that have anything to do with the nation grid. Talking to PlusNet is like banging your head against a brick wall.
When I wanted a second line some years ago they ran a new cable from the same junction box to my house in less than an hour not getting permission from anyone apart from me. 
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi glloyd,
We're sorry that this issue has become a little more drawn out than bot you and we would have liked.
Given the detail we have back on this from the supplier, the only logical explanation we can draw from this is that the break intersects some power cabling or additional trunking underground which may both belong to the national grid. Given that power cabling can be both dangerous and sensitive when carrying out underground work, it will always be in everyone best interest to consult with the owner of these services before carrying out any work.
We're very sorry that they have returned with the information that they're taking this route and hopefully this will be something that they'll be able to resolve in a timely fashion.
glloyd
Rising Star

The engineer found the shorting just inches from the junction box and has marked the area that needs to be dug. The junction box was replaced last year and is no where near any power cable, it is about 1ft from my garden fence. I had a phone call from bto shortly before your call and they did know if the fault was fixed or not. The fault is in the cable between the junction box and the house so even if a new cable was required it would travel about 3 meters across my front garden.
BT made a terrible mess last year replacing a cable and the contractors made even more mess we do not want it repeated this year. I think there bas been a mix up of what is requested and should be re investigate before people beside myself are put through a lot of inconvenience.
glloyd
Rising Star

Before this work goes ahead I want to know what the intentions are because at one stage the BT engineer said something about running the cable all around the outside of my front garden and round the outside of my house. That would be very stupid because I have no objection to the cable running across the front garden to the house.
JTaylor
Grafter

Morning glloyd
After this was chased with the supplier they have noted that dig work is required to resolve this issue.
This is due to go ahead on 6.11.14.
If you have any questions about this, it's going to be better for you to call our Faults team and discuss the notes with them directly.
You can reach them on 0800 432 0200.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It seems rather pointless to me to have two threads on the same subject being pursued by CRT and will only lead to confusion - can I suggest this topic be continued in http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133291.0.html