cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Urgent help needed*

dave1240
Grafter

*Urgent help needed*

Only been with talk talk 2 months, New landline 1st i ever owned. Constant rogue callers on the line that know my name and everthing.
Today i get a call from someone at microslution, Indian guy saying my PC is sending errors to there server and they work for microsoft,Apple etc etc. I dont know if this is a con but he did not at any time want to sell me anything! he  just kept asking to turn my pc on ...?.
Im really confused and annoyed with these calls i dont even know if there legit.
What do i do talk talk why do they know my name and landline number in which i have never onced used !
13 REPLIES 13
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: *Urgent help needed*

The guy asking you to turn your pc on is a CON. They want you to install some remote control s/w that will let them take FULL control of your machine. Don't let them anywhere near it.
If you haven't already sign up with the TPS (http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html) who will add you to a list of "I don't want these calls".
Otherwise if they know your name then have you registered it anywhere? (Web page/forum asking for a phone number?)
dave1240
Grafter

Nope nothing at all. Only use the broadband never used landline. They had a brilliant pitch should of been on dragons den.
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
This might be a silly suggestion, but you've said that you never use the landline.  Would just unplugging the phone not work?
dave1240
Grafter

I could do. We just have it connected just incase of emergency. Il probably do as you said
pierre_pierre
Grafter

are you really with Talk Talk or did you mean PN?
dave1240
Grafter

Im with plusnet I always always get them mixed up. The microsolutions guy who works for. Microsoft,apple and is a pc expert is calling me tonight. I tried registering with that website above says im allready registered.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont do any thing the Microsolutions guy says,it is a well known scam and dangerous.  String along and have a game with them by all means, We often do
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have the time and the inclination you would be doing a public service by stringing the scammer along for as long as possible - all the time he's talking to you means he's not trying it on with someone else.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

but just don't install or do anything he tells you, if you're not confident doing this just hang up!
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I was thinking of unplugging the network cable and then trying to everything he says which will of course fail. Then when he suspects that you have no internet connection swear blind that you can browse the internet just fine!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

IMO I would not advise keeping them on the line or goading them, just hang up.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
moodymark

+1 all these things are scams dont engage them, just hang up.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Or tell him you are using Windows 3.11 still  Cheesy