Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update of price comparison

xon
Grafter

Update of price comparison

Hi,
BT have recently announced several changes to their pricing structure, which I think come into effect in April this year.
My next thought was is it time to switch elsewhere like for example Plusnet? I checked here but noticed that "Competitor information correct as of 24/10/07"
Are Plusnet going to update this comparison to take account of BT's new prices some time soon?
Thanks
73 REPLIES 73
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Update of price comparison

With all the changes my BT Option 1 will still cost me £10.50/month but now gives me free weekend calls.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Nadger, why don't you swop to Home Phone?  Rental £9.99, free week-end and free evening calls?
Daytime calls are cheaper than BT, however, Gradwell trial the best daytime option.
Regards
nadger
Rising Star

In the end I didn't swop because my landline phone usage is minimal - my next quarterly bill is due on 16th Feb and total calls since last one shows  as £0.94
I'm not saying that the PlusNet deal isn't good but saving less than a £1 per month, in our case, means one may as well stay as one is.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I was thinking of switching before but the price comparison wasn't sufficiently  in PlusNet's favour due to the £1.50 charge for caller display.
However the new BT charges for evening calls make all the difference.
From 1st April 2008 the Evening rate for UK geographic calls will change from 4.5 pence for calls up to an hour, to 1.5 pence per minute and a 6p set-up fee will apply. The Daytime pence-per-minute rate for UK geographic calls will increase from 3.25 pence per minute to 4 pence per minute.

So looking at the numbers a 10 minute evening call which would have cost 4.5 pence will now cost 21 pence - and this is a price reduction  Grin
This changes to a saving on my bill using PlusNet of £9.40 per quarter (was £3.50 per quarter) and this assumes paper free billing and direct debit with BT otherwise there is an additional charge of £6.00 per quarter.
Update - as a light user I hadn't looked at the Anytime+ package - that saves an extra £1.94 per quarter - not to be sniffed at  Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

The alternatives seem to be :-
1) Agree 12 month renewable contract with BT and get free evening and weekend calls for £10.50/month
2) Transfer to PlusNet for current price of £9.99/month
Will wait to see what revision to prices are made by PlusNet.

paulby
Grafter

I'd be wary of their renewable contract - makes it difficult if you ever want to leave.
From BT's Ts and Cs
Renewable Contract: Contract subject to a 12 month minimum renewable period, i.e. at the end of each 12 month minimum period the contract will be automatically renewed for a further 12 month minimum period unless you tell us otherwise.   We will write to remind you when your contract is nearing the end of a renewable period. You cannot downgrade during the minimum period or any subsequent renewable minimum period. If you cease service during the minimum period or any subsequent renewable period a termination charge will apply. This charge will be based on the outstanding period of your contract term.
Edit: typo
nadger
Rising Star

I had looked at the T&Cs about leaving but thanks for pointing them out.
Have to decide before 1st April so hopefully we'll get more info about any changes PlusNet will be making prior to that date.
Albeit we don't use the phone much the cost of evening calls is very important. A 50 minute chat to our daughter would cost a bomb with new pricing Angry
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We only changed our prices in November, and currently have no plans to change the tariffs in the foreseeable future.
Obviously if we did increase prices we'd have to let you know with at least 30 days warning in any case so it's a pretty safe bet. Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

Thanks for the update, Mand.
Now to make a decision.
Be3G
Grafter

My mum's just got wind of all of the BT pricing changes too, and I was thinking of suggesting moving to PlusNet. However, the fact that PlusNet charge for caller display (does this actually cost anything for PlusNet to supply?) means that we are unlikely to do so, as BT provide it for free, and we probably don't make enough calls for the savings on PlusNet to negate the price of caller display.
paulby
Grafter

@Be3G
Openreach's price list can be found here.  This is what PN get charged to provide the call features, with the exception of 1571 which is a BT Wholesale product (assuming that's who PN use for messaging).
BT Wholesale's pricing is on their website.
Edit: typo & url
Be3G
Grafter

Hmm, interesting, thanks Paul.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It looks as though Plus charge per month what BT charge per quarter.
Quote from: Paul_B
@Be3G
Openreach's price list can be found here.  This is what PN get charged to provide the call features, with the exception of 1571 which is a BT Wholesale product (assuming that's who PN use for messaging).
BT Wholesale's pricing is on their website.
Edit: typo
paulby
Grafter

I would imagine PN have to offset the free calls element against call features and per minute charges for non-inclusive calls.  AFAIK, wholesale call pricing doesn't give PN any "free" minutes.