cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted calls

ArthurDent
Grafter

Unwanted calls

I know one can buy various mechanisms for blocking this irritation, but a friend has mentioned another that looks interesting. She is with talktalk and has a freebie apparently called number recognition call barring. It's a number you dial after you've had a nuisance call and it stops them calling again. Apparently specific to talktalk. Is there a PN equivalent? Never noticed it being mentioned.

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Unwanted calls

Quick Answer: NO

Longer Answer: Plusnet aren't bother (at the top level) to stop spam/unwanted calls. They haven't even offered to join BT Retail's new unwanted call system https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/11/bt-divert-nuisance-calls which BT wants their rivals to sign up too, so why not their own companies?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I think we'll offer a 'choose to refuse' service in situations, but it costs a couple of quid a month. Sounds similar to what TalkTalk offer.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Just having the caller ID function works for us as we have a BT8500 Advanced Call Blocker which really does stop 100% of those nuisance calls. Cheap, easy enough to set up and no, I do not work for British Telecom. Perish the thought!

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Yep - I bought a 4xhandset  set over a year ago and since then have not had a single nuisance call. The only minor drawback is that callers whose number is unavailable for whatever reason have to go through the "Say who you are then press #" process. Cold callers don't bother to try and get through. Best £80 odd that I've spent for a long time.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I cannot see "choose to refuse" on the list of phone features https://www.plus.net/help/phone/call-features/

I can see Anonymous Call Reject at the monthly cost of £4.00 though. But not what the OP really wants.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks everybody.

One of the things that concerns me is that I'm told by our friendly neighbourhood Thames Valley PC (who should know) that it is possible for these ne'er-do-wells to download an app (presumably similar to 192) which enables them to enter parameters to identify properties where, for example, there is a single occupant, maybe a widow, perhaps elderly. By paying £1.25 per entry they can get full details.

I have a neighbour who ticks all these boxes, e.g. even older than me. Although independently minded, she is a very  vulnerable lady of 90+. Recently both of us have had calls purporting to be from our local council and offering essential but discounted property maintenance  - which neither of us need.

Where do they get this stuff, and what possible justification can there be for a package making such selective information freely available?  

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Are we talking about telecommunications here? Companies don't hold/resell any information about the number/age of occupants in a property do they? Was it perhaps the 'Voters Roll' that was being referred to. You can elect to withold your details from the data that is available for purchase held on there.

ArthurDent
Grafter

Not my understanding. I am not on the published electoral register. In any event, to my knowledge that doesn't  display ages does it? How was I identified as a wrinkly?

But having written that, I've never been comfortable with the electoral roll being sold anyway.