Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited calls

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Unsolicited calls

I don't know If this is the correct Forum to use, however, I am receiving more and more unsolicited 'phone calls these days.  My number is registered with the Telephone Reference Service, but this seems to have little effect.
I understand that at least some callers use a National Consumer List.
I don't want to block with-held numbers, as I feel that in some cases this might block good calls.....or am likely to be wrong here?
Any ideas?
Regards
24 REPLIES 24
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Unsolicited calls

There are several reasons why numbers are normally withheld
If the call is via a company switchboard that is usually shown as number unknown although it doesn't need to be. Our system was set up so that the apparent number you were calling from was the main switchboard/reception number.
If the caller specifically requests it although again they can override that if needed.
Mobile calls from abroad (for example in my case when my daughter was calling from France on her mobile it was shown as International Unavailable on Caller ID
It is up to you but if non of the above apply it might be worth a try.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I receive up to two or three calls a day asking for the previous occupier of my house, who died nearly twenty years ago !
These calls are always 'number withheld' and come from Indian call centres - so we can't understand them and they don't understand us ! - What's the point in that ?
What I find curious is that when we get caught out and actually answer these calls, that when we say that the previous occupier has died, the caller just puts the phone down without switching their sales pitch to us.
They are obviously using details from very old telephone directories,  and if you ask them to please stop calling - they just put the phone down.
It has been interesting listening to my ten year old answering these calls (and disturbing his Playstation session), initially he was polite in his responses, now he makes up all sorts of stories and excuses to wind up the caller.  Grin
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks, Old Jim.  I suppose quite a few calls are from India.....I can't understand what the caller's saying in those cases anyway.....But perhaps the most annoying are the increasing number of selling initiatives. which I guess are UK sourced.
My experiences are similar to yours Purleigh, although, as I say, I'm getting an increase in what I think are UK calls now.
I'll wait for other comments, however, perhaps blocking with-held numbers might be worth a try.
Regards.....Noel
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am aiming to get one of the "trueCall" machines - either when the price falls a bit, or if one comes up on eBay for the right price, as £99 new is a little difficult to justify at the moment  Undecided
fotobits
Rising Star

I'd not heard of that device Purleigh.  However, as you say, it'll have to be a lot cheaper to interest me!
Regards.....
alanf
Aspiring Pro

You could have a long wait. The RRP has been remarkably stuck at c£100. I would have expected to drop over the years after development costs were recovered but it hasn't. In fact the actual selling price has climbed. I believe I got mine for £79.99 from John Lewis a couple of years ago. They are on sale on Amazon at present for c£90 but you have to add delivery to that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alanf :  would you recommend the trueCall ?, does it do what it says in the advert, or does it have any annoying shortcomings ?
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I have never used the option to update listed numbers from a computer. As I recall there was 12 months free use of this service after which one has to pay a subscription. So there is no way to list all the numbers that are barred or permitted. You have to check each number that is of  interest.
The main problem that I have encountered is the legitimate callers who withhold their numbers so the option to bar all anonymous calls is of limited use.
When screening unknown numbers there is an option where the caller has to state their name, then the phone rings, you pick up the phone and listen to the caller before deciding whether to accept the call or not. Many callers when asked to state their name think that they are leaving a message for an answering machine and start leaving a message only to get cut off after a few seconds. They then hang up before you get a chance to respond to the call.
So yes it can be configured to block unwanted callers but one has to be careful not to chose settings that stop you hearing from people you want to hear from.
Overall I have been happy with my purchase but agree that the product was high price and is now even higher. However this solution is cheaper in the long run and more flexible than paying a telephone service provider to bar selected incoming calls and/or calls with number withheld. If one has a serious problem with persistent nuisance calls I suppose one will find the price worth paying.
There is/was a rival cheaper product but I don't know how that compares.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks  Wink
Petard
Rising Star

It's difficult to find the most effective, and most cost-effective way to deal with such calls. Ignoring them means they will almost certainly ring again – and 10 consecutive tries is not unusual. Asking the caller not to call again is sometimes fruitful, but quite often there's no-one at the other end, or they take not a blind bit of notice. I've had one who told me she couldn't remote our number from her list unless I told her my name and address!
One answer is an answering machine, used as a poor man's Truecall: one can use it to screen unknown callers, explaining in the greeting that one is doing this, and asking people to identify themselves. Friends and legitimate businesses will (probably) understand and not object – and salespeople will just ring off.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: alanf
There is/was a rival cheaper product but I don't know how that compares.

This was it. £67.25. http://www.callblocker.co.uk/
AlaricAdair
Champion

I've found the siren facility on a low cost megaphone works quite well when placed over the handset during an unsolicited call. For some reason they always disconnect after a 10 second blast.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Roberto0151
Grafter

Just recently I've been getting about three "silent" calls a day - one each morning, afternoon and evening.  When I  pick up the phone there is a pause, then a click, then a "disconnected" tone.
When I check on 1471 I get "we do not have the caller's number to return the call", which presumably means it is coming from abroad (?).
If these calls were coming from the uk I suspect there is something that could be done about it but presumably not from abroad, and as we do get occasional legitimate calls from family abroad I wouldn't want to do anything too drastic to stop them.
I guess we'll just have to grin and bear it  Angry
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This doesn't fix the silent call problem but makes it a little more bearable.
If you have a phone which can display caller ID and has an answer machine for call monitoring you could select the Caller Display feature (99p per month extra with Plusnet Homephone). Then if the number displayed shows 'unavailable' don't answer the call. If the caller is genuine they will start to leave a message enabling you to screen and pick the call up if desired. Silent callers invariably ring off.
After a while you might find the frequency of such calls reduces - we did.
David