cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited calls with CallerID' International'

cgival

Unsolicited calls with CallerID' International'

Approximately every 2 hours during the day I am getting unsolicited calls with callerid "International". I do not want to block all international calls as I occasionally receive genuine ones but this has been happening for months and it driving me crazy. I'm with the TPS but because these calls originate abroad there is nothing they can do.
Is this something that PlusNet can control?
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Unsolicited calls with CallerID' International'

It could be an idea to try "Choose to Refuse" which costs £6 a quarter.
Alternatively, do you have a whistle?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If it's a robotic automated caller don't hang up, don't say anything. Just put the phone down on the desk and wait until you get the continuous tone indicating they have hung up.
If it's a real person say "Just a moment, you need to speak to my husband/wife/father/mother, I'll just get them" and then do the same thing.
In both cases it wastes their time and money, not yours. With luck, after a few times they'll put a marker against your number and stop bothering you.
Alternatively: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cgival

Quote from: Jameseh
It could be an idea to try "Choose to Refuse" which costs £6 a quarter.
Alternatively, do you have a whistle?

Yes - 'Choose to refuse' would be fine if from a specific number but these are identified only by the generic 'International' so that wouldn't work.
Haven't tried the whistle yet but have experimented with many techniques depending on how much time I have spare and my mood. Here are a few:
1) Put the phone next to the radio and every 30 seconds pick it up saying 'Please do not hang up your call IS important to us'.
2. Role play of lady with dementia. Caller asks for me or husband by name. I'll say I'll go and look and then come back after 2 minutes and say something like 'What colour did you say' or something equally non-sensical or ridiculous.
3. Interogate caller where they are calling from knowing full well it's abroad. There's usually a pause before they answer and then they have no knowledge of the geography of the UK. Sometimes they name a town they've heard of. I then ask the weather. 9 times out of 10 they say 'raining'. When I point out they are clearly lying as it's a heatwave (or whatever it is) they hand up.
4. Lecture of moralities of cold calling folk like me who don't wish to be disturbed and question if there are more ethical jobs available for them to apply for.
..and so the list goes on but I do lose my sense of humour by the 4th or 5th in a day!
cgival

Quote from: jelv
Alternatively: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI

That is too funny and has given me all kinds of new fun I can have with these frustrating callers!!!!!!!!!!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: cgival
Haven't tried the whistle yet but have experimented with many techniques depending on how much time I have spare and my mood. Here are a few:
<snip>

The trouble with all of these is that you are interacting with them so they might think they have a chance so they will carry on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mal0z
Grafter

Maybe the Truecall system would help ?

http://www.truecall.co.uk/
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I get one every evening at the same time. My answer phone takes the call.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine