cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use phone as when I try all I get is "Line in use" message

FIXED
suzyp

Unable to use phone as when I try all I get is "Line in use" message

Whenever I try to make a call I am unable to do so. I just get a message saying that the call cannot be made because the line is in use. I have checked all extensions and plugs and everything is correct. I went through the "check the line" procedure and that shows no fault. My broadband is working OK. What can I do? I am a disabled pensioner with no one to call for help, the chat line seems to have been discontinued and where I live mobile coverage is very patchy.

Is it possible that someone has called me and not replaced the receiver therebye blocking the line? I don't know.

Please  help me. I need a working phone as I have a phone hospital consultation coming up and I need be able to use my emergency help  call line.

3 REPLIES 3
Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Unable to use phone as when I try all I get is "Line in use" message

Fix

Hi there @suzyp, I am sorry to hear about this issue.

I've run a couple of tests on your phone line and we aren't able to see any issues, do you have another handset at all that you could try and plug in to see if it may be a fault on the phone itself?

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Sounds like poster already has several handsets plugged in; it may be worthwhile if she unplugged them all, then plugged in one at a time to see if she gets dial tone. One may well show a problem when plugged in, and need replacing or of course may be dodgy socket.
suzyp

I  tried plugging a corded handset into the main socket and it worked!!! It appears that it is my cordless phone which is causing the trouble as t hat still says Line is busy. Scrap heap time I think for that.

Thank you so much for your help. I was getting desperate.