cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two lines - one with Plusnet: Is it possible to swap them?

creamola
Grafter

Two lines - one with Plusnet: Is it possible to swap them?

Hi,
    This will probably make your head hurt, but here goes:
For a number of legacy reasons, I have two phone lines:
1. Is a telno that we don't use, but it has Plusnet Broadband.
2. Is a telno that we use for the house (and have done for the past 20 years - so I don't want to lose this as my main number) that has an employer provided broadband from another company.
I don't have Plusnet phone on either of these lines - but pay BT for the line and calls.
Line 1, (on which I have Plusnet broadband) never receives or makes any calls.
Line 2, (on which I have my employers broadband) is the main house phone - so does make and receive a lot of calls.
I would love to move both lines to Plusnet phone - so that I can manage them all in the same place and because I can never make head not tail of the letters BT send me (yes, I know Plusnet is owned by BT - but Plusnet staff are a LOT more switched on....) - but I know Plusnet don't do a phone only package.
So, what I would like to do, is:
1. Move my phone number from line 2 to line 1 (which already has Plusnet broadband) and drop BT in favour of Plusnet anytime call plan.
2. Move my phone number from line 1 to 2 (the line that has my employers broadband) so I can just purchase from BT the cheapest line only plan (because I don't need to make or receive calls on it).
If you are still following ..... what would be the chances of doing this?
Thanks,
creamola
7 REPLIES 7
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Two lines - one with Plusnet: Is it possible to swap them?

Sounds straightforward doesn't it, but in reality this would be doomed to failure!  You'll at least end up ceasing both broadband services and more than likely losing your phone numbers as well..
You could move Line 1 to Plusnet anyway and then perhaps use a dual line phone?
creamola
Grafter

Ah, I was afraid of that....
So, Plan B:
I wonder, if rather swapping numbers between lines, it would be possible to swap the broadband provision?
Neither line is a LLU, if that helps - and the other broadband provider still uses BT last mile to the exchange and for the back-haul.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Only by cancelling both broadband services and starting again...
Everything you propose sounds straightforward but BT Openreach won't have a process to cope.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Moving line rental for line 1 to Plusnet should be straightforward. Would you be happy if Plusnet took over line rental and provided a call plan on line 2, but the broadband arrangements (and phone numbers) for both lines stayed as they are? That should be low risk (and minimal cost).
Whilst I don't think Plusnet will supply phone only as a new provide, they might be willing to take over an existing service bearing in mind you have additional business with them (broadband and phone (to come) on your other line).
However I suggest discussing this requirement with the House Moves team (it has similarities to a house move). Some aspects of this are covered by the standard guide, but I expect that team are best equipped to advise and cope with this requirement.
David
atbs1
Grafter

I too have 2 lines. Some time ago I asked +Net to take over the main line as calls only.  They were able to do this, with no problems, by setting up a second user account.
creamola
Grafter

Excellent!
Thanks everybody, at least I now have some background that I can use when I discuss this with Plusnet.
creamola
Grafter

To square the circle on this - and as a contemporaneous note, lest others have a similar request:
I have finally completed the move of both my BT lines.
I was forced to act because:
a) Try as I might, I could find no way to re-apply for another 12 months of Line Rental saver via my account at the BT site.
and
b) Ditto for caller display (which I need) as there is now some new BT algorithm about 12 months free (otherwise it costs £1.99 per month!) privacy service, which comes with caller display as standard. Again, no way to enable this online - and the one link that did mention it, just resulted in a 404. And in any case, I knew I would forget to re-apply for it next year - and just end up paying an extra £1.99 a month - which I am sure is BT's intention ....
While PlusNet sales could take the voice line on which PlusNet BB was already enabled, they were adamant that they could not provide a voice line only for my second line BUT Madasafish will do - and they are a PlusNet company.
So I now have one line with PlusNet and one with Madasafish. Not ideal, as I would like to manage them both in the same place - but at least it gets me away from BT's horrendous web site and all the PlusNet/Madasafish folk that I spoke to, answered first time and were very helpful. [And yes, I know that PlusNet is owned by BT - but BT didn't buy their soul....]