cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Phone Lines

fauves

Two Phone Lines

Hi guys Just wondering; is it straightforward to set up a second phone line with PlusNet? Or do we have to do it directly through BT? We need one as we are converting our garage into holiday accommodation. Is there a cost effective way to do so?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two Phone Lines

The easiest (Plusnet) route is to sign up as a new customer and ask for a line to be installed.

As a new customer, you will get the introductory discounts, and avoid any complications of having two phone lines attached to a single account.

However !,  you might find it FAR CHEAPER and easier to manage, if you used VoIP to route the "holiday accommodation" telephone calls over your existing broadband connection.

Using VoIP means that you don't need an additional physical line and therefore save £215.88 on yearly line rental,  and also call costs are usually cheaper than the equivalent provided by Plusnet or BT.

Try googling "voip providers" to get an idea of what is available, but Voipfone is a good place to start.

That said, you do need a reasonable broadband connection for VoIP to work reliably, but I've not had any problems on my 6Mbps ADSL connection.

Wink

fauves

Thanks so much for this, really good advise I think. I have just checked and apparently we are due fibre optic in the next 4 months so I think we will probably wait and see as our holiday accommodation conversion will be finished around then. With the boosted speeds I assume we will then more readily be able to split the supply and even run a VOIP service as you suggest. Good plan? Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan, although you should be able to get everything configured and running sooner.

Then when fibre arrives, simply swap your ADSL modem for a FTTC modem.

Cool