Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring phone line and a different phone number

pj2014
Grafter

Transferring phone line and a different phone number

Hi!
Hoping someone can help. Loooooong story short...
One house two phone lines, both on same account, both registered to me. To make it clearer I'll try draw it out with made up numbers.

1) 02081234567 - currently BT line and BT number - I want to cease this line completely.
2) 02089876543 - currently BT line and BT number (being migrated over to plusnet for phone line + calls. There was no BB product so I ordered plusnet adsl (BB now active))
I want to cease 1) completely, but want to take this phone number (example 02081234567) and have it on 2)
Is this possible? One for the guru's + PlusNet staff !
I hope that's clear.
cheers
PJ
30 REPLIES 30
James
Grafter

Re: Transferring phone line and a different phone number

It's possible, but we'll need to charge £35.85 to renumber the line (this is what we are charged to do so).
pj2014
Grafter

Phew!
That's good to hear James, I didn't fancy calling everyone I know to inform them of my new number!
So how do we go about this, i.e. what order should I do things in? using the same examples 2) should be migrated to PlusNet  on the 5th Dec 2013.  I assume I can then cancel my BT service for this particular line (line rental + anytime call package)?
What is the process for me to 'bring' the number 1) over to 2)  (don't want to lose it!)
The £35 odd charge is ok.
cheers
pj
James
Grafter

If you let one of the guys on here know once line 1 has been stopped, we'll then be able to request to renumber line 2 to that number.
pj2014
Grafter

Excellent, thanks for that James.
I'll get on to BT today to start the process to cease line 1)
cheers
pj
pj2014
Grafter

Urgh,
Called BT and was advised there is a 30 day notice period to close an account/cancel an active line....so the 30 day wait begins.....
I also called plusnet twice and BT twice just to make sure how to retain my number, it didn't fill me with confidence......(not with the individuals but with the process or lack of..)
Given solution -
- Cancel line with BT - Done (well clock is ticking down from 30 days)
- Contact PlusNet on the same day/next day after this 30 day period is up and ask for my number to be brought over at a cost of £36 or so. (re-number the line, official term)
Here is where it gets a bit strange, on day 30 of my notice period with BT, my number is no longer assigned to me (or anyone for that matter), re-enters the 'pool' of telephone numbers and you, I or anyone can be assigned that number  Sad
Seems odd, but it is apparently procedure. I cant really risk losing the number but my only solution is to monitor my home phone all day (on day 30) and the moment I get no dial tone, phone PlusNet, pray I get through within a few minutes (I know difficult!!) and set the re-number process up instantly.
Has anyone else been through this? Am I really going to have to check my dial tone 60 times an hour for the whole day?! I'll go mad + hear dial tone sounds even when they are not there! LOL
cheers
PJ
James
Grafter

Here is where it gets a bit strange, on day 30 of my notice period with BT, my number is no longer assigned to me (or anyone for that matter), re-enters the 'pool' of telephone numbers and you, I or anyone can be assigned that number  Sad

Sort of but not really.  Your number cannot be automatically assigned for 6 months, but can be assigned to an ISP if they (like we hope to) specifically request that phone number.
pj2014
Grafter

Hi James,
Thanks for the response. Now that's more logical! I was not aware/made aware of this 6 month dormancy period. You've saved me from potentially going mad, checking for a dial tone 60 times an hour, for a whole day!
Hahahaha
Thank you for the clarification  Smiley
regards
PJ
pj2014
Grafter

Hi James,,
Quick question...So when I call PlusNet in just over 3 weeks time to attempt this renumber procedure....
- How long does it take to actually renumber? Hours, days or weeks? As calls coming into us would obviously get a dead/number not in service tone, right?
Just concerned regarding downtime as unable to inform everyone, friends/family/relatives @home and abroad...  (If its going to take a day or two,  we can live with it...if its 2+ weeks then will have to inform as many as we can of temp. number)
cheers!
PJ
jmcgarrigle
Grafter

I asked the very same question recently, but was given quite a different answer..
I was told in order to switch the numbers, that BOTH lines would first have to be migrated to Plusnet, and then a number switch could happen (with the £35.85 charge). The line which has "donated" the number can then be ceased.
From past experience I would worry about ceasing a line, and then attempting to retrieve the number from it - it's been a few years years since I attempted it with BT, but at the time it was almost if not completely unachievable..
Very keen to know which answer is correct!
-J
James
Grafter

A renumber takes 1 working day to complete (possibly less).
jmcgarrigle
Grafter

Hi James,
But which method is correct?
Cease the donating line, then request the renumber?
Transfer both lines to Plusnet, renumber, and cease the donating line?
Thanks,
John
James
Grafter

My way is definitely easier.
Renumbering an active phone number is a lot harder because two lines can't have the same number at the same time.
jmcgarrigle
Grafter

And it's *definitely* possible to have a line ceased by BT, and then for plusnet to recover that number and transfer it to a different line?
Forgive the doubt.. but I've had problems doing this before..
Thanks,
John
James
Grafter

Yep, we should be able to for 6 months as long as we know the number.