cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring landline number from Virgin Media (out of contract) to Plusnet (in contract)

FIXED
Whitemonk
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Transferring landline number from Virgin Media (out of contract) to Plusnet (in contract)

I have been out of contract with VM (broadband, TV and phone) for a few months and now wish terminate their services and transfer my landline number to Plusnet (in contract with broadband and phone until September 2021). Will I need to renew my current contract with Plusnet? I chose to pay for the landline by lumpsum in advance. Would I lose the unused portion of the lumpsum?

We have had the VM landline number for over 30 years now and don't really want to lose it, even though it's the easiest option. 

I have visited the OFCOM site and am aware that one has to tread carefully when moving from cable to POTS.

2 REPLIES 2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Transferring landline number from Virgin Media (out of contract) to Plusnet (in contract)

Fix

Thanks for your post@Whitemonk 

If you already have an active phone service with us, you won't need to renew your contract and you won't lose line rental saver by changing your phone number with us to your phone number with Virgin Media.

We'd just need to place what's known as a number port check and then a renumber order of your existing line. Your number with Virgin Media would need to remain active throughout the process, but once the renumber order's completed your phone number with us will switchover to the number you have with Virgin.

As with any requests to renumber a line, there'd be a one-off charge of £36.63.

To arrange this I'd advise calling us on 0800 432 0200. I can't guarantee the renumbering will be successful though as the number may not exist on BT's infrastructure at the exchange, which is generally the case if the number was first made in one area and then moved to another area digitally (VoIP) for example if you've moved house.

We should know at the time of putting the number import check through whether it'd be successful or not before we commit to the renumber order and the one-off cost though.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Whitemonk
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Transferring landline number from Virgin Media (out of contract) to Plusnet (in contract)

Thank you for a prompt and detailed response.