cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Virgin Media Home Phone Number

jeanh

Transferring Virgin Media Home Phone Number

Short post to confirm that I was able to transfer my Virgin Media home phone number across to Plusnet.  The number originally belonged to BT and was transferred to Telewest many years ago when cable was installed in our area.  Having read the forums before joining Plusnet I was not sure that my number transfer would be successful so hope this helps anyone else wondering if they can retain their number.  I did have to contact Plusnet after placing the order on-line - they confirmed via e-mail following my application that my number would be changing and provided a new one.  They cancelled my original on-line order and raised a new one confirming that the number was to be retained.  As a secondary measure I wrote to Virgin to serve notice to cancel and instruct them that I wished to retain my number (cited Ofcom regulation that old provider cannot withhold a number).  I received a written response confirming that they would release the number shortly afterwards.  Openreach engineer called today and fitted new master socket (most up to date model that doesn't require an i-plate for increased stability) and after a call to Plusnet to activate my account I'm up and running with phone and broadband (evidently they normally wait for Openreach to sign off job as complete before they activate new accounts).  All in all a great start with new phone and broadband provider. 
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Transferring Virgin Media Home Phone Number

Glad to hear that you were able to move over and retain your number. As you may know it isn't guaranteed that numbers can be retained when moving between telephony providers but taking measures such as you did there may have helped your case as it seems. Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transferring Virgin Media Home Phone Number

My first thought on reading the post was "Miracles occasionally happen"  Roll_eyes even with Virgin