cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Phone from BT to Plusnet

misshighlander

Transferring Phone from BT to Plusnet

Evening. I have go broadband/internet up & running with PlusNet  since yesterday (was Orange/EE)
As for the Phone/Line rental. I was told that PlusNet would handle/deal with everything for this (line rental etc currently with BT).
I got a text from PN yesterday to say that I have to contact my current provider to remove a "social telephony service" eg BT Basic (which I do have with BT). And that PN can't order/transfer the line until I have got that sorted & let them know.
Can anyone let me know if that is correct & I have to cancel the BT Basic/Call plan myself or is that something PlusNet can do????Huh
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transferring Phone from BT to Plusnet

I think that is correct
HOWEVER
Cancelling it may well stick you with a 12 month contract with BT unless you are very careful
I suggest waiting for official staff comments and explanation of ways round it
misshighlander

Thank you
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What Oldjim said is correct. We cannot progress your order without this feature being removed from your line.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Done a bit of digging
http://www.bt.com/includingyou/bt-basic-what-you-get.html
Stay flexible. There is no minimum contract period for BT Basic. This means you can change from BT Basic to any of our other calling plans and packages at any time.
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=33572 shows that all the phone packages have a 12 month contract on changing
So it very much appears that you can't do what you want
I wonder if there is a way Plusnet could get round this
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Your best bet is to call BT and explain that you want to move your phone line so can they put you on a normal package but without a 12 month tie in
misshighlander

Thanks everyone. Will get in contact with BT again about this
misshighlander

Hi, Just an update. Finally got through to BT. And looks like I've now got it sorted
misshighlander

Quote from: Oldjim
I wonder if there is a way Plusnet could get round this

Plusnet told me by text, that they were unable to remove that themselves. As BT Basic is a BT only product & can't legally speak to BT directly to remove & for me to do
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just tried calling you as this is urgent. Unfortunately BT have placed a cease (or possibly a stop/start) on your line instead of removing the basic service, which is why you've had the notification from us. If you don't call them today this will go through and will also cancel the broadband - there's nothing we can do to stop that. I'd recommend getting in touch and getting the cease cancelled as soon as possible or you'll end up with no broadband I'm afraid.
misshighlander

Just an update. Got my phoneline up & running again between  last night & today (new number though - which is no problem). And broadband/internet has to be reordered & should have up & running by next week. Which plusnet has arranged/sorting out. Thumbs up so far for plusnet