cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Existing Landline Number

mattmccarthygb

Transferring Existing Landline Number

Hello Everyone

just moved to Plusnet from Sky, but my old telephone number has not. This is the message from Plusnet.

The number of *********** has now been put in to quarantine for 14 days as we did not process this with your order, It is being released on to the bt network on the 03/04/18 so we can re-number your line for your back to this"

has anyone had this happen. Will I get my old number back.

im not so well at the moment and I'm worried the doctor can't get through.

kind regards Matt.

11 REPLIES 11
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Transferring Existing Landline Number

Good Morning, 

If the number originally was part of the BT network, it will indeed enter a quarantine period for 14 days where it will remain unusable, after this period we can request the number be made available(spare) for us again by contacting Openreach at which point an immediate request for your number can be placed and then reapplied to your line within 24 hours of that point.

If however your number was old by Sky or another non-BT provider originally then this may cause the number to go back to the rangeholder(original owning company for the number), if this occurs we can put in a request through Openreach to the previous providing requesting they make the number available to import back to the BT network for our use.

You can check who owns the phone number by putting it in here:

https://www.ukphoneinfo.com/

EDIT:

I have asked the always helpful @Gandalf to keep an eye on things and we'll make sure we do everything possible to get your number back as soon as possible

I can also confirm your requested number does list BT as the rangeholder so we can get this back via normal methods once out of the quarantine period

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Matt.

I'm very sorry to see we changed your telephone number when you requested that we keep it.

I've passed feedback onto the adviser that initially dealt with your query.

I've moved the ticket on your account to my teams workflow so I/we can take ownership. Once your number is released on the 3rd April we'll do everything possible to try to import this to the BT network and renumber your line.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Me again Matt.

I'm just posting back on here to let you know that your line has been renumbered to your number.

I hope this helps and apologies for any inconvenience caused over the past two weeks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mfr2167

Got exactly the same problem, was changed from Post office phone and broadband yesterday, when I signed up I was told that they had to use a different phone number, but as soon as it was up and running I'd get the original phone number back. Now being told it is going to take a fortnight as BT have it in quarantine. We have had the number for 35 years and it is very inconvenient! Would cancel and go elsewhere but that won't resolve the phone number problem. Surely it is in somebodys  power to sort it, after all plusnet and openreach are related.  I AM  NOT HAPPY!! 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there @mfr2167

I'm sorry to see we transferred your services from your previous provider, changing your telephone number in the process when I can see you requested we keep it.

I've looked into this and I can see we attempted to transfer your phone number over to us. Unfortunately the order was cancelled by your previous provider, and when we replaced the order we placed it with a new number instead.

I'm afraid that due to the reasons @Darkfire has explained above we'd need to wait until the number is released from quarantine. That's the process our suppliers have to follow.

I do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused and I can see the adviser you contacted earlier today has put steps in place for our provisions team to renumber your line once the number has been released.

EDIT: The first order I noticed was from a few years ago.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mfr2167

I can live with 14 days, mainly because I have to. What really annoyed me is that the agent who took my order never mentioned the delay in getting the number back and when yesterday after the line had switched, I rang again to check when the number would be re applied I was told no more than 24 hours after the broadband is live. If I'd known this in the first place I might have thought twice about moving supplier. Is it an accidental ommission or sharp practice? It was the lack of honesty and clarity that annoyed me more as I do like to make informed choices and be clear on whats happening.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Digging into this I can see the order was placed by our automated system so it was simply down to the sales adviser not putting your telephone number into the appropriate box when they created your account.

As such, it's something I will feedback internally.

I can assure you that it would've been in our interests also to transfer an active line with your own number.

We'll renumber your line as soon as we can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mfr2167

Well the fourteen days is up. Is someone sorting this? The last fortnight has been a nightmare. If the number goes for good there will be trouble.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @mfr2167,

I'm contacting our suppliers now to discuss this to try and obtain the number for you.

I'll provide an update via the ticket on your account shortly.

Thanks for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mfr2167

Thankfully the phone number transferred back to me in the early hours of Thursday morning, although nobody has updated the ticket. It is also still showing the temporary number in my account, this needs changing.

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Glad to hear you are back to your original number @mfr2167. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. I have updated your account details to reflect the new number and will send you a ticket confirmation shortly.

Let us know if you need any further assistance

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team