cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfered phone away - number changed

kingkobra
Grafter

Transfered phone away - number changed

Is it normal for your number to change when you transfer phone to another provider?
I moved to BT today, and our normal number doesn't work, but if i phone my mobile it shows a different number. Is this just part of the transfer and my usual number will come back at some point today?
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transfered phone away - number changed

you will need to ask BT as it sounds as though they haven't done something right
kingkobra
Grafter

Just been on the phone to them, and not really sure what to think.
The guy originally said it's PN's fault as they haven't released the number, then when i told him I wasn't informed that I would lose my number, he changed his mind to say it just meant the order was processing, and our proper number would return sometime today. Not really sure if I believe him - sounded like he was having a bad day.
Just wondered what PN's side of the story said.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That is an interesting spin on facts... The gaining CP does all of the work on moving a phone line / number.  The only part a loosing CP plays is to block the migration if their customer says they are being slammed.
Good luck!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kingkobra
Grafter

Ok. Been onto them again, and they have requested a number port. Now have to wait a few days for it to happen. Pretty inconvenient. Can't understand why it wouldn't just default to port the number as well - surely its what most people would do when switching providers.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi,
If BT give you a new number, then your old one should just be released into a pool of spares. We no longer have any ownership of it. They should just be able to reserve it for you, and get you back on overnight. However I'd double check with BT if I were you to be safe.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
kingkobra
Grafter

I guess the phone number change is the reason our fibre connection no longer works as well.....
kingkobra
Grafter

So it seems BT royally messed up our phone transfer by doing a cease rather than a transfer - hence the new number, and now Plusnet have stopped providing broadband as well because of the line cease. I'm totally amazed that something so simple, and is probably done hundreds of times every day, can be messed up so easily.
I know it's not PN's fault, just need to vent.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry to hear about this.
I had a feeling that might have been the case, but didn't want to say Sad
kingkobra
Grafter

Will I be due a refund for loss of service for 12 days?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Absolutely.
I'll make sure that you are charged as accordingly.
Matty
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What about the £30 charge BTw are going to make to Plusnet for the broadband cancellation without migrating that Plusnet normally pass on?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

BT Retail are a right bunch of cowboys - for whatever change on a voice line, they do a cease which cancels all services on the line.  I once need to change the billing name on an organisation's phone line (change of office holder) instead of just changing the billing details, they ceased and re provided the line with the consequence of the PlusNET broadband being terminated.  It then took the standard 10 days to get the service re-provided.
I do not understand how / why BT Retail are allowed to get away with such monumental cock-ups which upon their crass action (with the conspiracy of BTw / BTOR) immediately terminates other services, which when realised cannot be immediately restored by the co-conspirators.  Their is no transparency or level playing field here.
Needless to say that cock-up lead to the phone service being transferred to PlusNET, since which the billing details have been changed twice with no interruption to service.  Now I would never use BT Retail for anything, for they are completely incompetent, to say nothing of their utter contempt for the British public in transferring the customer support jobs out of the UK to India.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kingkobra
Grafter

We've been on the phone to BT every day since it 'transferred' on the 30th, trying to get our old number back, getting past from pillar to post, no-one seems to care about sorting it out, just want to get you off the phone as quickly as possible so just tell you what you want to hear promising call backs that never happen etc etc. We can't order broadband until the number changes back, so even after the number change (if it ever happens), we'll have another few days while they sort out the fibre connection again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've seen a tip that if you ring the Welsh BT support number you'll get somebody that can speak English, is in the UK and is generally more helpful.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)