Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of phone to Plusnet from BT

materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Transfer of phone to Plusnet from BT

I have never transferred phone or BB before! But BB is now (since yesterday) with Plusnet and phone is due to transfer 22/08/13. I'm just wondering what happens to with BT billing. I have just paid a quarterly bill, so that much rental in advance.
I'm asking do I need to tell BT or will a final bill (refund) come from them automatically from the process resulting in my order for home phone with Plusnet?
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transfer of phone to Plusnet from BT

You should have received a letter from BT saying that they are sorry to lose your custom and if you don't intend to leave let them know sharpish
If everything works as it should you will receive a final bill from BT with the call charges up to the date of the move and the proportion of the line rental refunded and this should happen automatically
materialman
Rising Star

Thank you. No letter yet. There's a question: 'Your response' (not that I did) at 3.50am on 08/08/13 to say:
The order for your phone service has been unsuccessful. We'll look into this and contact you if there are any problems.
[internal]
The order for this service has been rejected. Please see the install history tool for full details.

And from Plusnet at 11:39am, Thursday 8 Aug 2013:
Dear Mr materialman,
I have now placed an order to transfer the phone line to Plusnet and this will complete on 22/08/2013.
Phone order reference: ORxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If there is anything else that we can help with then please do not hesitate to get back in touch. You can reply to this ticket through the Member Centre or you can call us on 0800 432 0200.
Kind regards,

So maybe as the order is only just in that's why I don't have a letter yet. Actually the BT account is in my wife's name, though the bills are address to us both - hope that is OK as far as the transfer is concerned.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The normal practice of transferring BB first, then when that completes transferring phone is obviously being followed in your case. That meant the phone transfer order was placed on 08/08/2013. Completion has to be a minimum of 14 days from order, hence 22/08/2013.
BT wouldn't know about the phone transfer until the order was placed; they should write to you now they do so you should receive a "sorry to hear you are leaving" letter in the next few days. The other communications mentioned by Oldjim should follow soon after the service transfers.
The messages on the ticket are OK, though there was initially a problem with the order the staff manually corrected that later and resubmitted the order.
David
materialman
Rising Star

Thank you for explaining folks.
materialman
Rising Star

Had a 'spoken' SMS from BT yesterday, on the lines of 'sorry you are leaving'.
Just transcribed it as
This is BTR sorry to see you go. Call us on 0800587721 or (the 'or' might have been a 4 not very clear) to confirm any termination charges, or for any other queries. Thank you message sent..... We are not in contract with them, no LRS or anything. Do we need to respond or will we just get a hard sell?
I presume there will still be a letter.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Could it be option 4? Obviously moving away from BT Retail is your intention so no need to contact them. You should receive a letter in the next few days covering the same ground. No need to respond to that either (unless there is something you want to query).
David
materialman
Rising Star

I called 08005877214 and asked should I have got a 'sorry you're leaving letter'. No they don't do that. I was asked who I was moving to and why of course and have I looked at BT broadband offerings. Err, yes. I asked about final bill (as last quarterly bill was 25 July) about a refund. Apparently, 10 days after the switch, we will get a final bill.
They tried to put the frighteners on by saying there's a chance we might lose our number 'it could drop while the switchover takes place, and once its gone, its gone'. Heck there was no warning of that from Plusnet!!
James
Grafter

I've never seen anyone lose their phone number as a result of transferring from BT, unless it was intentional.
materialman
Rising Star

I'm relieved to know that James. What set of circumstances might make it intentional? I'm thinking sharp practice of course!
James
Grafter

We would be able to choose a different phone number if our customer requested one.
Even if you lost your number, we could probably get it back as they're quarantined for 6 months.
materialman
Rising Star

OK a little bit of a white lie then on their behalf, as it's quarantined.  Roll_eyes
materialman
Rising Star

Pleased to report my phone was transferred by 07:26 (time of email) today. Works in both directions.
Question though - looking through the Phone Control Panel and the FAQs to where the tariffs are listed, there's an asterisk against 0870 and 0845 numbers and mentions that ISP dial-up numbers are not included (to be expected) but I don't understand otherwise, what an 'indirect access number' is.
James
Grafter

Indirect access is when you prefix a number with another number.  For example, calling an 0845 calling card number to get cheap international calls.
materialman
Rising Star

Have just had a letter today (28 Aug) from BT on the lines of 'another provider has told us you want to move your service' and 'If we don't hear from you by midday on 22 Aug 2013, these services will stop later that day'. Service BT phone line.
Further down after 'A note about your bill' where it states a final bill will be sent out 14 days after telling us, there's:
'What you'll pay': 30 day rental liability charge, as you have to give 30 days notice. I didn't know about this and it comes as a shock! Surely it is incumbent on Plusnet to serve this notice correctly on BT at the time of signup, in order that Plusnet customers avoid this BT charge as Plusnet are in control of this process. I signed up on 23 July, so they would have to have notified BT then for the 30 days as the phone transferred on 22 Aug. Can anyone enlighten me. I have raised a ticket with Plusnet but I don't have an answer yet.
Edit: Have just had a response to my ticket.
(quote) Our request was made on the 08.08.2013.
Different company's have different policy's, BTwill require 30 days notice but this has to be given by the customer, as we do take care of the transfer but the BT would require to hear from the customer verbally to cancel or give notice on a account closer. (unquote)
This does not seem right. I thought Plusnet take care of everything, and in any case I was afraid that if I did contact BT they might disconnect me before Plusnet connect me, thus incurring a huge reconnection charge.