cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracing a International "withheld" number?

GrottoTree
Grafter

Tracing a International "withheld" number?

Received a scam call today from a international number what was withheld (said "international" on caller display) and I am wondering if it possible let alone worth it to trace the number.
Was the typical "your computer has errors and warnings showing up on our system" sir and can you please go to your computer and do this and that.....and so on.
Scammer simply wanted to try scare me into believing them be showing me all the errors in the Windows Event Viewer - Might of worked if I was not tech savy and did not know about things like the windows event viewer, local & group security policy editors, windows power shell, regedit, etc... what I occasionally use.
Question is, is it worth trying to trace them and thus report them, or will it be nearly impossible to trace them due to the possibility of them using some VOIP service like Skype,etc...
Also as we get quite a few unwanted international calls generally, is there any way to block the "international" type calls?
Elliott.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tracing a International "withheld" number?

It's not worth your bother, save the time and do something worth while for yourself. Also, I had a couple of these calls and if you tell them you have either only Mac or Linux machines they remove your number as it's a waste of time. Well I think they remove your number as I've never had a call of this type since.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The last time I had one of the "Your computer is full of viruses" calls the number read back on 1471 was 0012345678910... Seems legit.
In regards to blocking international calls, I've always been advised to let people know that a lot of the call features (Such as anonymous caller reject and choose to refuse) unfortunately don't always block out the international numbers, however I'm lead to believe that the BT Nuisance call blocker phones (BT6500, BT8500?) manage it, but I don't have any experience with those so I wouldn't be able to confirm that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Why even bother to answer the calls, unless you are bored and want to wind them up?
NedLudd
Grafter

Well, believe it or not, some of us actually get calls from abroad!  Roll_eyes
Geoff,
York.
Fifer
Grafter

As mentioned in a post by HarryB get yourself a BT 8500 call blocker telephone, i have one and can assure you it is well worth the cost.  The only calls that come straight through are the numbers in the contacts, everything else is blocked.  If somebody does want to speak to you they have to announce who they are and press the hash key.
The phone then rings, if you want to speak to them you have three choices,  answer the call once Press key1,
allow this number to come straight through Press 2, block the number permanently Press3 .
As all the junk calls probably know you will block them anyway they just hang up and as a lot of these calls are automatic they never come through.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

+1 for the BT8500 nuisance call blocker phone.
I've been using one for most of this year and it's stopped most of the nuisance calls I used to get.
I don't have mine set quite as severe as Fifer, it's just set to intercepts international and number withheld calls.
That does the job for me Smiley
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Take a deep breath, pucker your lips, and blow the loudest whistle you can down the line to them, best way of dealing with those types... Cool
GrottoTree
Grafter

Why even bother to answer the calls, unless you are bored and want to wind them up?

It was my auntie who answered the phone and then passed it to me.