cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Times and dates - when 2 - 4 days is 12 to 15 days...

algee

Times and dates - when 2 - 4 days is 12 to 15 days...

Hello,
I was wondering where the information given on the website (quite prominent) comes from? "We'll arrange for your phone service to start. This will take 2-4 working days."
When I called up today I was told that it usually takes 12 - 15 days to complete an order.
Does this mean 12 - 15 days for the financial (direct debit) order and then 2 - 4 aditional days to arrange the phone line? (then another 5 - 7 days to start broadband)
Would it be a good idea to change the front info page to read:
Your order
Please allow 12 - 15 working days for your order to be completed then...
We'll arrange for your phone service to start. This will take 2-4 working days.
We'll then arrange for your broadband service to be activated. This will take 5-7 working days from when your phone service has started.

Just a little idea so that people like me don't get false expectations. I'm not too worried as my order was accepted on the 14th, line connection will be on the 25th so only 11 days. I just think this could be made more clear.
1 REPLY 1
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Times and dates - when 2 - 4 days is 12 to 15 days...

Hi and welcome to the forums Smiley
We calculate the date based on what records BT hold about the property. If the is a recently stopped line we can re-start it remotely at no cost in 2-4 days and show that. If there is no recently stopped line or if the line has been taken off BT's network then it will give a longer lead time.
Occasionally the records can be wrong and this leads to a longer (or shorter) lead time than advised. Thankfully, these occurrences are very rare.
The longer lead times that you were quoted may have been due to a pessimistic CSC agent, and we're also seeing some delays because of backlogs with BT.
A Direct Debit instruction takes 3-5 working days to go active, then the phone order lead time starts (2-4 days or 12-15 days). However, if you put a credit / debit card on your account when you sign up, the phone lead time starts straight away.