Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of switching phone to PN

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Thinking of switching phone to PN

Presently I am a mongrel; phone with BT, FTTC with PN. Before swapping over to fibre I was on an account that did not charge £2.50/ month for my divided loyalty. Now, having lost that advantage, I could recoup some benefit by bring  over my phone too.

My BT Line Rental Saver runs out in August. How long does the contract for the PN phone service run for, and will it affect my Fibre contract in any way at all?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
27 REPLIES 27
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Thinking of switching phone to PN

Hi there.

As far as I'm aware If you brought your phone line across this wouldn't put you into a contract for for either

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Luzern
Hero

@MatthewWheeler Thank you, but where can I find out definitely? One thing has crossed my mind. Does contacting PN for phone problems involve calling the same number as for broadband, and so the long delays in reply?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Does contacting PN for phone problems involve calling the same number as for broadband

Yes, the same number is used. 0800 432 0200

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Similar questions have been raised before, and I've never seen reference to any contract term for phone service.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Luzern, 

I can confirm that you would need to contact the same department to deal with phone and broadband issues. 

as ITWorks provided: 0800 432 0200

If there is anything else we can assist you with please feel free to get back in touch. 

Thank you. 

Luzern
Hero

@OllieC That might give me second thoughts, unless the delays are mostly attributable to getting to a bband rep, rather than the phone side.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Luzern  I don't see that as an issue - they're not really there to perform detailed diagnostics. Once evidence of a fault exists, it'll be passed to Openreach.

I transferred my phone service to Plusnet some years ago, for three main reasons -

• Lower cost
  • Incomprehensible BT billing
  • One supplier, so no ping-pong between BT and Plusnet in the event of a fault

I've benefited from the first two, but have yet to experience Plusnet's fault handling.

If it turns out to be below standard when the time comes, then it'll be time to change ISP.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Luzern
Hero

@198kHz SmileyI think you may have misunderstood me. It's the time it takes to get trough to a rep, who doubtlessly will quickly pass it on to BTOR, which is my concern. I cannot recall having a problem with BT in that regard.

BT's billing I don't find particularly incomprehensible, but maybe that's my work background.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Luzern  Aye, point taken. I was addressing the "unless the delays are mostly attributable to getting to a bband rep, rather than the phone side" issue.

I agree that the main issue is the speed of response, or lack thereof, that we read so much about, and that's obviously a concern for anyone considereing switching.

Now I'm here I'll stay, but as mentioned, I'll be off if a fault in the future is not dealt with in a timely manner.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Luzern It's worth noting that you can run a phone line test online yourself from the member centre here and if an external fault is found then it'll be automatically reported through to Openreach without any manual intervention from us in the first instance, which means that you'll be able to raise the fault at any time of the day.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
subsync
Dabbler

"One supplier, so no ping-pong between BT and Plusnet in the event of a fault"

Nope, it's just the same blame game.

"I've benefited from the first two, but have yet to experience Plusnet's fault handling.

If it turns out to be below standard when the time comes, then it'll be time to change ISP."

You will be changing ISP's because Plusnet will end your contract rather than repair the fault on their line that you pay them for. I am currently waiting on the Ombudsman decision over a noisy phone line, where Plusnets solution is to free me from my contract, and to take my noisy phone line to another supplier.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

That is somewhat distorted. Plusnet would only take such a decision if faced with a BT Openreach decision to not further investigate the fault. That is not so much take the problem to a different supplier, more BT Openreach have declared the circuit not fit for purpose and have refused to rectify matters. You’ll have the same line with any supplier.

What do you mean below “standard”? Sounds as though it’s more of you (understandably) do not like the outcome. If given the inference here, you’ve got the “standard” BT Openreach response for a line beyond viable operation.

The ping pong referred to here is that between it being a voice fault (dealt with by the phone provider) and it being a broadband fault (dealt with by the ISP). In either case though it’s the same BT Openreach who deliver the fix ... if they can.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Townman wrote:
What do you mean below “standard”? 

Just to clarify - that's a quote from my Reply#8.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
subsync
Dabbler

Sorry, my script stopper wouldn't allow the quote function to work, so I used the traditional method. I've now fixed it.

@Townman wrote:
That is somewhat distorted. Plusnet would only take such a decision if faced with a BT Openreach decision to not further investigate the fault. That is not so much take the problem to a different supplier, more BT Openreach have declared the circuit not fit for purpose and have refused to rectify matters. You’ll have the same line with any supplier.

That is somewhat not the scenario to my ongoing situation.