Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of switching my Phone service to PlusNet

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thinking of switching my Phone service to PlusNet

Hi Guys,
I am currently getting my phone service from BT but my broadband (stand-alone) from PlusNet for nearly a year now.  I have been quite impressed and happy with what service I had been given by PlusNet on Broadband; that I am thinking of switching over my phone service to PlusNet.
I have a long line and hence had suffered very unstable line for many months.  PlusNet atlast sorted it and it has been very solidly stable for over 31 days.
Firstly, I am a bit anxious as to how smooth, uninterepted and Line stability (both phone & Broadband) will go once I place an order for the switch.
Secondly, will I be able to bring my telephone number from BT to PlusNet (assuming that the exchange will remain the same).
Finally, Will I qualify for Line Rental Saver?
I have raised these query via a ticket, but I am getting very vague responses from the CSC.
Can any of you, fora members, who had switched recently, from you experience, throw some light on the above?  I am sure the PlusNet Team member/s should be able to give straight and clear answers, if they care to pick this up.
I await anxiously for your response/s.
Many regards,
Chandu.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Thinking of switching my Phone service to PlusNet

In my experience moving my phone from BT was painless however you need to check your contract with BT - is it 12 months
Yes you can get the rental saver
Yes you would keep your phone number
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks Oldjim for reassurance.
Yes, Jim, my contract comes to an end on 2nd December.
Regards,
Chandu
pierre_pierre
Grafter

make sure that BT dont auto renew it then, although there is a new ruling to say they cant now
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks P-P.
As soon as I place the order with PN, I intend to notify BT of my desire to part from their services.
I noticed one thing with PN's CSC that the switch time has increased from 7-10 days yesterday pm to 15 working days today pm.  So, from your experience/s, which time scale do I work on?
Regards,
Chandu.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When I switched (a long time ago) I was given a switch date (in a ticket) once the order had been accepted and scheduled, I think it took 14 calendar days which is 10 working days. The switch took place on the date advised, broadband not affected at all. I don't recall any break in the phone service either but hardly likely to notice a short interruption.
David
chandu
Rising Star

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your reassurances and sharing your pleasant experiences.
I have decided to take a plunge and have now placed my order to switch my phone service with PlusNet.  Fingers crossed that evrything goes smoothly.  Smiley  Wink
Regards,
Chandu.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another surprising thing in moving from BT is that they refund any upfront payment a few days after you move
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks very much Chandu, hope it all goes smoothly for you Smiley Please let us know if not.
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks Matt.  No worries Matt, you will hear my sceams, even if you have your headphones on  ;), if things don't go smoothly.
Incidentally, I am sure you all will be intersted to know that I have just completed WhichConnect (from Which?) survey on Home phone, Broadband (ADSL, FTTC/FTTP, Mobile etc) and I have told them how impressed I have been with PN's BB service during my last 12 months with them that I am now switching my phone service to them.  So, PN please don't let me down.  
Oh, I also mentioned that PN is value for money  Grin
That's it guys.
Chandu.
dick:quote
TheIslander
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
make sure that BT dont auto renew it then, although there is a new ruling to say they cant now

Here is the ruling is a Ofcom email I got a while ago about that.
Ofcom today confirmed that rollover contracts, which tie landline and broadband customers into repeated minimum contract periods unless they opt out, will be banned from December this year.
The contracts, also known as Automatically Renewable Contracts (ARCs), roll forward to a new minimum contract period – with penalties for leaving – unless the customer actively opts out of the renewal. The ban will apply to ARCs for landline and broadband services sold to residential and small business customers.
The full news release can be found on the Ofcom website.
http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2011/09/13/removing-barriers-to-switching-ofcom-bans-rollover-contracts/?u...
chandu
Rising Star

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your positive feedback.  My switch over from BT to PlusNet went smoothly and didn't even notice the changeover and did not affect the broardband.  I also have my telephone number moved to PlusNet.  Great stuff.  Smiley  Cheers all round.  Well done PlusNet.  ;D.
BT did not auto renew, though they did try to impose a penalty for early termination of contract ( by 2 days - terminaton on 30th November instead of 2nd December when contract was ending).  Sad  So, I had asked PN to move my switchover date from 30th November to 2nd December.  PN obliged me and BT did not have a leg to stand on.  Thanks PN.
Thanks all and Best regards,
Chandu.
BRABUS
Grafter

When switching from BT to plus net do we have to inform BT or do PN do it for us ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I didn't inform BT and it all went smoothly.
I got a letter from BT saying - sorry you are leaving us
BRABUS
Grafter

Cheers Jim.  I made the jump last night and have a move date of 19th so fingers crossed.