cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The French Experiment!

Ado16
Grafter

The French Experiment!

I receive regular phone calls from a friend in France - so when we got cut off recently I thought I'd return the favour and give him a ring back.  I hadn't seen the rates before or bothered to look them up - I just wanted to try a "Practical" Test and see what the result was later.
So, as all you who pay attention to detail will know that it won't be a pretty sight.......
11 minutes = £2.56.
Interesting. Practical Test Completed.  Not going to play that game again!! Smiley
Have to say though - personally as we're "In Europe" I look forward sometime to phone charges coming down.  I know mobile roaming charges will have been eradicated by 2014 according to recent announcements, let's hope landline charges follow.
It's not as if there's a man rolling out a piece of string and connecting it to a Golden Syrup Tin at the other end to pay for is it?  Grin
Out of interest I had a look to see what my mobile phone company charges for European calls.  Something pretty horrendous I bet! (I thought).
So go on - Guess? How much do you think an 11 minute call from the UK to France would cost on a greedy guts mobile phone?
Go on!
Oh! All right - I'll tell you.
55p!  Cheesy
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: The French Experiment!

Odd on Virgin it would cost 40p per minute as is O2
You must be on a cheap deal probably GiffGaff
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you and your friend used VoIP phones, then it would cost you nothing !  Wink
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Or use one of the services like Call18866 where it's 2p/minute to a French landline (15p to mobile). (Plus 5p/call connection fee)
GiffGaff is 5p/minute from my mobile to France - landline or mobile!  Cool
Ado16
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Odd on Virgin it would cost 40p per minute as is O2
You must be on a cheap deal probably GiffGaff

Good guess.  I hadn't looked up the rates on there either. Quite surprised.
Thinking the other day - a certain irony in that having escaped years ago from BT, I'm now with Plusnet (Arms length from) and giffgaff (piggy backing on O2 which used to be.....?)
Perhaps the two should merge!  Shocked
Ado16
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
If you and your friend used VoIP phones, then it would cost you nothing !   Wink

Quite right! Or Skype - but these things are never planned eh?  Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Skype over wifi hotspot in town from mobile, the added bonus is I can see who I talk to and don't pay anything for it .....but don't get caught out have to change its default setting so it only uses wifi unless your on a 3 unlimited data tariff....then again why would you be on anything when there monthly cost is cheaper than anyone else's on contract Smiley
as for setting it up just agree on a pre arranged setup like send/receive pokes when your not online, although Skype itself will ring like a normal call so theres no reason not to use it Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nadger
Rising Star

We use 18185 and last Christmas our daughter phoned French friend who'd gone home - 1p per minute plus 4p set up charge  Smiley