cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text to my landline taking hours to arrive

Razer
Grafter

Text to my landline taking hours to arrive

I finally got round to doing a test last night as a friend had sent a text message to my landline some time ago and it never arrived. Sending the text a little after 11pm last night, it didn't arrive until a little after 7 this morning. 8 hours to get a text message. That is, it is at least 8 hours because that's when I got the confirmation of delivery. The odd thing is that the confirmation says "Your text-to-speech message to ********* has been delivered." I'm not sending text-to-speech, I'm sending text to text. Huh I've just sent another text anyway, and got the confirmation message within a few seconds. I have not, however, received the text message. I have checked the service centre numbers on my phone and they appear to be correct. Why is it taking so long?
15 REPLIES 15
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Text to my landline taking hours to arrive

Hello there,
This will be the text curfew where texts sent in the small hours, are queued up till the morning.
The same thing happens to our text messages if we send texts late at night.
This page might help you out: http://www.ntstelecom.co.uk/BTTextnews.htm
Regards,
Matt
EDIT: helps to read the full message I guess haha.... Not sure why it would be delaying during the day ¬_¬
picbits
Rising Star

I'd guess the above is correct - I'd hate to get text to speech (or even texts to my phone) at stupid hours.
Actually I had one from the wife the other day at 4am - she'd just come round from a major operation and was still under the influence of the anaesthetic  so I let her off .......
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Mattz0r
This will be the text curfew ...

I am not sending text-to-speech messages. I am sending text messages to my text message enabled phone.
Only Text-To-Speech calls are affected by the curfew. Text messages sent to SMS capable fixed
line phones are not affected.

Why is my service apparently set as text-to-speech (whilst still getting a text message, btw)?
Razer
Grafter

I have still not received the second test text message I sent two days ago. Do PN have my service configured correctly?
Razer
Grafter

Still waiting for the text, still waiting for someone from PN to respond further. I do have my phone "service" with PN, after all.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Razer,
Sorry for the delayed response. We don't really have any control over the actual operation, we handle the billing and admin side - if something's not working, definitely best to raise a fault (or at least a ticket describing the issue, which we can then pass through to our phone faults team). Give's a nudge when it's done and we'll pass it on for you.
kmilburn
Grafter

You may be waiting a long time for the text...
[quote=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service]SMS message delivery is not guaranteed and are generally treated as lower-priority traffic than voice. Various studies have shown that around 1% to 5% of messages are lost entirely, even during normal operation conditions, and others may not be delivered until long after their relevance has passed.
Razer
Grafter

Thanks Matt, I think I've opened a ticket, not really sure if 'sending a question' is opening a ticket.
kmilburn: Yes, I can accept the possibility of a certain failure rate, as with mobiles; sometimes it happens. With my landline currently, however, two failures out of three is a bit more than 1-5%, and besides they are clearly not correctly 'labelled', shall we say, by the system.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Razer,
I've just checked the ticket and it's already with our phone faults team so no need for me to move it on anywhere for you Smiley We'll update you as soon as we can, hope things are resolved swiftly for you.
Razer
Grafter

Thank ye, Matt.
Razer
Grafter

From the response to my ticket:
Unfortunately the text service is not something that we support. I have tested your line to check for any issues but the line is testing clear. I can see that you were given a link for further information on our forums, apologies that we are unable to assist further with this.

Well thanks very much. Waste of bloody time me opening a ticket as advised then, wasn't it? And yes, she saw a link given to me but failed to understand that it was not helpful which is why I posted further in the thread, posts which she evidently didn't read in order to understand that. But then, you don't support the text service anyway.
Matt, it would be nice if you don't support a service for staff here not to advise customers to open tickets for such. Moreover, why do you carry a service if you don't support it?
itsme
Grafter

Have you sent a SMS from your landline? Until you do this I believe that the system believe you have not got a SMS enabled phone and the delivery will be as speech and I can see these being dropped by the system more easier if problems are encountered with the text to speech.
Razer
Grafter

Yes, I've sent texts from my landline.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Razer, just to check, a couple of silly questions, is Caller Display working OK? IIRC that has to be working for SMS to work, and when you sent the messages from your LL phone they arrived at the destination phone OK and uncorrupted?