cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible internal wiring

smh13562

Terrible internal wiring

Hello all.

I've recently bought a house and I'm slowly working through the snagging (there's always something, right?).

My phone and broadband work fine, but I'm pretty sure the wiring pictured is where it comes into the house.  This is right next to the washing machine so it gets vibration and occasional drips from wet washing - I'm therefore keen to get it tidied up into a proper installation!

First of all, are you agreed that this is most likely the phone cable?  It's definitely not mains, TV aerial or satellite - the only thing I've seen such thin wires on is a phone cable.

If so, who should I approach to fix it?  Am I right in thinking that my only option is to approach my provider (Plusnet) for them to arrange an Openreach engineer?  How much am I likely to have to pay?

Many thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Terrible internal wiring

Ouch.

Is this before your master socket, I am surprised anything would work from that!

It looks phone to me but I am no engineer so don't take my word for it.

One thought is try and be sure it is not another line coming into your property which is no longer in use. Reason I say that is my friend when he moved in, the previous occupants had multiple lines put in. He suspects they was running a business from home.

Again the fact you say your line is fine, would make me suspicious as to whether it is coming from there.

smh13562

Yep, I was surprised too!

Good call about a home business, there are several phone sockets in one of the bedrooms so it could be that it was once used as an office.

I wonder if there's any way to check that?  When we moved in I was about to just rip it out then realised that some of the little wires do have continuous connections so I didn't want to risk it...

Alex
Community Veteran

I think you just need to get a landline phone - if you have one, if not buy a cheap one and test the other sockets.

Check to see if you have a dial tone of course, and try dialling 17070 from them. It will say 'circuit' then read out the phone number. If it was the one you were expecting it'll be that line, I don't know what will happen if it is a different line which has been disconnected in the past.

smh13562

Good tip, thank you.  The "extra" sockets in the bedroom give the number I was expecting.

I think I will need to get someone in from Openreach to take a look... even if that mess of wiring is redundant, it needs removing properly.

Alex
Community Veteran

Sounds like the best idea - can you tell if that wiring is before the master socket?

I don't know if Openreach are a bit like utility companies, so anything before the meter (and master socket in your case) you shouldn't touch if it is before and call them out. If it is before then you won't get charged I assume, otherwise I assume you will be.

You can touch it of course, but better not to mess with it for now to avoid a nasty situation where your landline and broadband are down if that is your actual connection.

I could be wrong, but I believe if it is before the master socket get PlusNet to arrange an engineer.

smh13562

It seems to be - the messy wiring is inside an exterior wall and the master socket is in the kitchen.  Your understanding is the same as mine but I've never had to test it with phone wiring before, it's generally in a good state because nobody but Openreach engineers is supposed to touch it but someone's clearly had a good old bodge at this!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @smh13562,

Sorry to hear of the pickle your in. From what you have advised it sounds like the master socket is the one where the washer is located.

It could potentially get damaged due to area it is located and you may need to look at a master socket relocation which cost £160.00 through openreach.

Alternatively you can use a private telecom engineer to assess the circuit and make the necessary adjustments.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team