Did you mean: 

Telephone outage

FIXED
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Telephone outage

Hi

I have noticed Openreach have been working in my Local area on the Green Box that supplies my Broadband.

However I have found that my Phone has no dial tone now - and also pople have been ringing me and they get the ringing tone on their phone but the Phone here does not ring

I have just tried it and it does not ring - I cant find a way to check my Line other than through you so can you help please

Thanks Bamboozled

15 REPLIES 15
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Re: Telephone outage

Having read a few replies on here I found the Trouble Shooter which gave me a Phone number to ring. My Line was tested and has a Fault (probably) caused by the Openreach work

I will have to wait to see if this gets resolved by the 9th as promised.

Ticket raised so I will park this topic now. Cheers Bamboozled

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Bamboozled,

I'm sorry that your landline isn't working at the moment and for the delay in picking up your post.

I can see that testing the line has found an external fault and this has been raised to our suppliers for further investigation. Their estimated response time is by the 9th of October but, with it being an external fault, this is only an estimate and the fault may be resolved before this. Our faults team will keep an eye on this from here and will contact you once we've received an update from our suppliers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi Emily

Thanks for the reply - I raised this query yesterday - then found a way to contact someone at Plusnet who raised the Ticket and check the Line for me. He said I should be back on by the 9th or earlier so I will have to be patient

Just one question (I am a bit of a Techno-dunce) - but is it possible to have Broadband working and the Landline off-line - as I assumed they came down the same Cable. My Broadband is working but at a much reduced speed - and there are I know Openreach workers in the Green Box that serves my house

Many thanks JT

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Bamboozled wrote:

...is it possible to have Broadband working and the Landline off-line...

Yes.

From the symptoms you describe, it would appear that one leg of the copper pair is disconnected, or has a high resistance joint in its length, which will prevent DC current flowing around the loop twixt exchange and house.

The broadband signal is RF, which can "jump the gap" - but speed will normally be below par.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Many thanks for that - as I said being a "dumbo" in such matters prompted the question

Ironically I have had several Broadband and Phone outages in the past 2 to 3 years because the Green Box nearest my House needed extra capacity

So Openreach have descended onabout last Wednesday and have the road down to single carriageway and 3 to 4 Vans there and Rain shelters

So I suspect they have done what you have described  ! Thanks again JT

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Bamboozled  You're very welcome. Smiley

I always feel a little nervous when an OR van is by my green cabinet - even more so if it's contractors Kelly or Quinn.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

I received a Text from Openreach which said an Engineer would contact me yesterday (the 9th)

One of them did contact me 11 am at a guess - and said they had my job in hand and they estimated my Landline would be back working by 8pm yesterday and they would contact me again to check all was ok

9am Thursday and nothing has changed - no Landline and nobody contacted me to say there would be a further delay so I am still being patient

Cheers JT

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Bamboozled.

I'm sorry that your line fault isn't resolved yet and that the engineer didn't call you back as promised.

I've been in touch with our suppliers and they have advised that the work wasn't completed yesterday as there wasn't enough engineer availability in the area. However, there's no excuse for them not giving you a call back to let you know and I have passed on feedback about this. Our suppliers have assured me that the work on the fault is going to happen today and that they expect your service to be back up and running by midnight today at the latest.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Ok thanks for that.

Inconvenient without the Landline but these things happen

Just wanted to make sure they had not forgotten I would like it back at some point lol

Thanks again JT

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Bamboozled

I've just checked the fault report and it looks like they're working on the fault as part of a wider issue in your area. The good news is that it's currently showing past the point of no return which generally means they're working on it as we speak.

I hope it hasn't caused too much of an inconvenience.

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Yes - I know there is a huge job going on in the Green Box about a mile from my home

There is a huge Tent over this from early morning with Tarffic Light control so I am being patient even though it seems my neighbours are not affected. Neither their Broadband not Ladlines are affected

For me I have half Broadband speed (when I last checked) and no Landline at all for over a week now

The fix was "predicted" by 9th at the latest (though it may be earlier) On the 9th the Engineer rang and said it would be by 8pm, That deadline passed. I was then told on here that Midnight last night was the next deadline and that has passed so I am now hoping today is the day ?

Regards JT

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

We received a notification this morning to say that an engineer has been assigned to work on ti today so we should have some updates on that for you soon. - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Fix

Line reinstated after 8 days out - now seems to be working fine

This was a pre planned job which Engineers who have visited me a few times whilst with Plusnet was "needed" to raise capacity in that Green Box so hopefully I will be free of problems in future

Broadband speed seems to be up and down but I am happy Landline fixed

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Bamboozled 

Thanks for letting us know this if the case. 

If we can be of further assistance in the future, please get back in touch with us. 

Kind Regards, 

Alsidair