Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone number confusion!

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Telephone number confusion!

Hi all.
My landline mysteriously rang this morning as it woke me up! I had been left without phone and BB for 2 weeks min,  so I thought I'd give my mobile a ring to see if it makes outgoing calls it sure did ring to my mobile but ON THE WRONG NUMBER!  So I rang the landline number back using the missed call number and the landline didn't ring but someone else picked up ( a young women) so I said I must have the wrong number and hung up. I rang my provided number by PN and it kept dialling then went to voicemail of 1571.
Recently BT did some cabling work and that was cause of my telephone to work. But still it should work on the correct number. Also my broadband isn't up yet so can someone give my an update on that?
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Telephone number confusion!

Hi,
Oh dear what a mess!  This sounds like it might be a cabling fault.  I had a similar experience a few years ago.  BT replacement of stolen trunk cable resulted in me having the phone line / number of the pub in the next village and them having mine!.
This is an issue which needs directing to your PHONE service provider.  If it s PN then it is a much simpler problem to manage; raise a support ticket and include the detail of the 'wrong' number.  Until this is sorted, you are not going to see your broadband service.
It might be worthwhile (and be helpful to her) if you called the young woman back and explained what is happening as she too might unknowingly also have issues.  Also you could try ringing your number and lift the receiver to see if the call is there, as it is possible that ring current is not being sent down your line.  Given the described problem it is imperative that you tell your phone provider to contact you on your mobile.
HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I dialled my mobile from the housephone (ending in 0202) and made a connection and rang to my mobile, my mobile rang and call talking.  However when I went onto recents on my iPhone and rang the number (ending in 0202) and a woman picked up.
So I rang the number provided to me by PN ending in 1140 and it keps dialling then went to 1571 voicemail mesaging service, I left a message. 
I went back to the house phone and dialled 1571 to check msg's it said 'Welcome to BT Answer 1571, you don't currently have BT Answer 1571 on your phone line, press 1 to activate or hang up now if you don't want BT Answer 1571' so I pressed 1 and got to the point 1571 has been ordered and would activate in 2 working days.
So the phone number is with BT (0202)
Really confusing, Will open a ticket later when I have time.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
Another thought.  If on your home phone, you dial 17070 an automated system will tell you what the line's number is.
This is starting to sound like there might be three phone numbers involved in this muddle!
Good luck!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I wouldn't leave it until you "have time" there could be complicated billing issues to resolve if you end up paying for someone else's calls and they yours if there is a line mix-up.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
Your current order for the house move is not completed and is in a delayed state, so your line would not actually be active yet anyway.
Our provisioning team are currently chasing this up and will update you regarding the crossover of lines and your current delayed order.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

External work is required, not exactly sure what at this moment. Once this is completed then hopefully this will resolve the crossed line scenario, if it doesn't we can raise a fault. This is logged with our provisioning team who will keep you updated on the external work.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hi Chris,
It's definitely Working as it is making outgoing calls.  Will I be charged for this, if not can you credit the other owner for my calls off that line?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
if not can you credit the other owner for my calls off that line?

Not sure we'd be able to do this unless they're our customer, and given that we know nothing about them that's gonna be a bit hard to find out Wink
To be fair though this should all be sorted out by our suppliers when they sort the crossed lines. They know when the fault was reported and when it was fixed so should be able to arrange it.