cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telemarketing getting a bit fed up now

missdolly
Dabbler

Telemarketing getting a bit fed up now

Does anyone have a number of how you opt out of getting these damn stupid calls? i got plusnet connected 3 weeks or so ago and i rarely use the house phone as we are all on mobile contracts but i figured it would come in handy.
Unfortunately the BT engineer had to install the landline from behind the house and save lugging a cable all through the house or over the roof we settled on having the phone point in our daughters back bedroom...
The first day it was connected we got a telemarketing call !! i unplugged the phone for well over a week (i forgot about it actually) and only remembered a few days ago since then we have all been woken up in the morning by above mentioned idiots even this morning!!! and again in all 4x today so i've unplugged it again  Grin is there an option to go ex directory (i'm presuming i would have said yes if there was as in all the years we've had a house phone we have been ex directory) ?
Cheers
12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Telemarketing getting a bit fed up now

heres the answer  http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/what/  it is not 100% as it wont stop overseas idiots or people doing surveys
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That works for me and has done for some time Smiley
Telephone, snail mail and email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

You might want to opt for caller display. All of the telesales calls that I get are displayed as international so I just don't answer them.
I am ex-directory and have registered with TPS but still get these calls from time to time.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If signing up for TPS does not solve the problem, or the problem is too severe to wait a couple of months to find out, I can recommend Truecall. http://www.truecall.co.uk/.  Most of its facilities require Caller Display. Assuming that you do not have any genuine callers from International numbers it can be simply programmed to intercept and reject any International call without ringing your phone. Otherwise there are various screening options.
It costs c £80 from many retailers (e.g. John Lewis)  which is pricey but not as pricey as from the product's own website (c £100). However, it is more flexible and cheaper in the long run than paying monthly fees for Chose To Refuse and/or Anonymous Call Reject from ones telephone service provider.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
You might want to opt for caller display. All of the telesales calls that I get are displayed as international so I just don't answer them.
I am ex-directory and have registered with TPS but still get these calls from time to time.

trouble is I have a Son on the Barrier Reef and cousin in Perth, friends in Avien, Lake Geneva, they all come up as international on caller display
Not applicable

Ooh - that Pierre dun't 'alf show off!  Grin  Wink Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know about that cant spell Evien  - dont drink it either
and just to make you sick, he was outdoor pursuit person on the Eco  Hotel here, http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=long+island,+Queensland&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&cli..., Catamaran Ocean Sail Skipper, Kayak, Scuba
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sorry about off track but this is the Eco hotel  http://www.paradisebay.com.au/  Son is now shore based doing accountancy  (More Money - no stress)
hulls
Grafter

TPS doesn't work for all the callers.  So if one does call, get the company name and address.  If they won't give it (they usually won't) at least get the company name and at least a phone number.  Tell them that you want your number removed from their list, and the the next call from them will result in a complaint to the Information Commissioner - have a look here
John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Cant lay my hands on it, but a gent took a Scottish company to court in Colchester and got £500,  it in my pile to resurrect somewhere
missdolly
Dabbler

Thanks everyone its not actually a person ringing its an automated telesales message asking me to ring a number for the chance to win a tv i think they said? after the first phonecall i don't generally wait longer than 2seconds to listen now and just hang up.
badwolf
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Cant lay my hands on it, but a gent took a Scottish company to court in Colchester and got £500,  it in my pile to resurrect somewhere
#
If you get chance please could you dig it out - all the marketing calls I get post-TPS I will be a millionaire at that rate Grin