cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Techy question - Can BTOpenreach really say there is a line fault

BRABUS
Grafter

Techy question - Can BTOpenreach really say there is a line fault

Ok so I have a scenario for you clever techy people.
BT Openreach have been to my parents new property.  they have connected the line outside to the line the hangs out of the property.  this line is not yet connected to the master socket.
1 - can Openreach categorically say that there is a fault on the line.  
2 - would not having the master socket show that there is a fault
3 - do Openreach have a clue what they are doing  Grin
Cheers
Dick:green Split off main topic at the request of the OP.
3 REPLIES 3
catelliott
Grafter

Re: Techy question - Can BTOpenreach really say there is a line fault

Hi BRABUS,
Regarding this particular scenario, Openreach have said that there is a fault somewhere between the exchange and your property that they need to rectify before they can move forward with the installation. Not all of the equipment involved in your installation is brand new, though faults can occur even on new equipment. They have taken into consideration that your line is still in the provide stage, otherwise they would flag all new line installations as having faults, which isn't the case.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whilst the line is not connected to the Master socket, it will not test correctly. The master socket has a capacitor (ring capacitor) and a series resistor connected to the line so that meaningful line tests can be carried out. When not present, the test will assume an open circuit at the customer premises - ie a fault - unless there is an additional problem with the wiring in the property or to the property - eg.a short circuit or either or both legs of the line showing low resistance to earth.
The question here is why did the OpenReach engineers not connect the Master socket? It could be that they were only tasked to deal with the, was it, underground line or overhead one?
BRABUS
Grafter

The line is underground.  Openreach appeared and connected their line to the house and couldnt get into the house as my parents weren't there, they haven't admitted to having been to the property though.  We we're never told they were coming.  The same day they appeared and did this work I was told by Plus Net staff that Openreach were still claiming that the line didn't even exist.

I have been told something else today again compared with what catelliot has posted so your guess is as good as mine as to what the hell is going on.  At present it is looking like at least another week before things start to move.

NEWS FLASH - BT Openreach have now moved the next update from 13th July to 31st July with no reason given.