cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technically can you identify the source of a call?

muymalestado
Grafter

Technically can you identify the source of a call?

Why would you?  Well, because plenty of people get silent calls or fraudulent calls which are recognised as such and dialling 1471 tells us that "We do not have the caller's number." 
So if IMMEDIATELY I call PN to report above call and it is the very last one received just a moment ago can you identify its origin?  Can this number then be watched and 'blacklisted'?
Maybe I can spot most  / some frauds, but others may not.  A blacklisted source would save lots of anguish.
2 REPLIES 2
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Technically can you identify the source of a call?

It can be done - but only at the Service Provider level.  In the Plusnet case this is BT.    Not normally done as a User service, but can be invoked for malicious calls investigation.
It is a User option to not display their No.    BUT!  It is a mandatory component of the signalling protocol managed by the Service Provider.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Technically can you identify the source of a call?

We're not really able to trace individual calls in terms of geography I'm afraid. If you are getting bothered by unsolicited calls I strongly advise registering with TPS (telephone preference service).
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team