Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk to Plusnet - now disconnected with no new service date

dontpanic
Dabbler

TalkTalk to Plusnet - now disconnected with no new service date

Hi-
I decided to dump Talk Talk and it's frequently disconnecting service, and try the recommended Plusnet as a service provider. I placed my order on 17th sept 2010 and have not yet been given a date for transfer. Meanwhile Talk Talk contacted me and said that they had been given 4th Oct as a cessation date by BT. I rang Plusnet cust services last week, yesterday and today (5th oct 2010)  to try and get a conf date given what TT had told me, but I still do not have one. My landline was ceased as predicted by TT yesterday (4th Oct) so I now have no phone and no broadband and no idea when I will get reconnected. This is is not a good start with Plusnet I have to say, I expected some kind of joined up response between disconnection and reconnection. If anyone can chivvy my order along please I'd be grateful, as I have a wheelchair user in the house and need to have a working phone line.
Thanks, dontpanic.
29 REPLIES 29
LiamM
Grafter

Re: TalkTalk to Plusnet - now disconnected with no new service date

What were you told by Plusnet when you called today?
I must admit I'd be fuming in your position!
dontpanic
Dabbler

They said they were waiting for confirmation from their supplier regarding a date, and seem unable to tell me how long it'll take to get a date and then of course, that date could be a while off. Though presumably that "supplier" is the same BT that must have told TalkTalk  I was leaving and cut off my line ?
Apparently there are a lot of delays at the moment getting the "supplier" to process the orders but if that's the case why cut me off before they're ready to take over? That's what I don't uinderstand.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: dontpanic
as I have a wheelchair user in the house and need to have a working phone line.

I would have thought that would qualify you for a priority installation!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It would also suggest that you'd be wise to have some backup, like cheap PAYG mobile on a network with good reception in the area.
My in-laws (in their 90's but still living at home, just) have 2 mobile phones supplied by me on PAYG contracts - 1 upstairs, 1 down. They're permanently on and have a  few vital contact numbers in them.
dontpanic
Dabbler

Thanks for the concern - we do have a mobile so can call out in an emergency, but a lot of calls still come to the landline (or rather not at the moment) and they will be unaware of any alternative number to use.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are with BT and your line is faulty you can immediately have a diversion to a mobile set up for free. You also get compensation for the extra cost of making outgoing calls using a mobile.
That's one reason I would NEVER contemplate moving my phone to Plusnet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You beat me to it Jelv. Surely PN will do the same.........
dontpanic
Dabbler

I called PN cust services yesterday and they can't do anything until my line is transitioned over to them so I'm in a big black hole at the moment. They say they will chase with their supplier to get the order processed but it could take up to a week just to be given a date ... sigh ...
dontpanic
Dabbler

A friend pointed me at the help assistant where I usefully found my ongoing tickets. For reference my ticket number is #35257311 which confirms my order was placed on 17th Sept with still no confirmed connection date. What really annoys me is I can't understand how I got disconnected so promptly before a reconnection confirmation was issued.
dontpanic
Dabbler

Just had a text through and checked my ticket:
"This is to confirm that your phone transfer order is in progress and this is due for completion on the 07/10/2010.
Once this is complete we will place the order for your Broadband service, this will take 5 working days to complete after the phone line is fully installed."
I will await to see when my service actually restarts.
dontpanic
Dabbler

Just had it confirmed that the phone is on now, which is a relief. Just need the broadband to follow.
Lynda
Grafter

I'll be watching with great interest because I'm already starting to panic and I only ordered Monday 4th October !! The thought of no broadband access is just an utter nightmare. I left TalkTalk for 2 reasons. The lack of caller display and the fact it took 10 weeks to get my account up 'n' running.
I am starting to rethink my decision now. Think I'll trawl through other topics to look for other TalkTalk migrators...
Thanks for letting us know.
Cheers,
Lynda~
Sad
john50
Grafter

Well I migrated from tiscali (same difference as tt now)  fairly recently and to be honest  the support  and help from the Plus Net forums and call centres and especially the attention of staff on the forums is to put it bluntly is ruddy amazing.
Yes there has been a few general issues recently  and the odd issue I've had has been promptly sorted out,
compared to tt customer service this place is light years ahead  (well a year or two  Smiley )
Javert
Grafter

This time last year I helped my elderly neighbour switch from BT to TT (her phone bills from BT were horrendous as she (aged 91) just talked/chatted to her friends and also to her family in Canada.  But the problems I had with initial phoned enquiries - they don’t seem to a) understand basic English and, b) don’t appear to have the same info as on their web pages.  When the switch-over happened, some services ordered were not available and took a further two or three weeks to happen. 
My own opinion on this - is sign-up with PlusNet (no - I don’t work for them - just a satisfied customer) - at least you can speak to a real person as opposed to a call centre - for me a most important reason.  Yes, problems do occur - but I’d rather have it sorted by PlusNet than a person reading from a script somewhere thousands of miles from the UK.