Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk to Home Phone

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Talk Talk to Home Phone

I am currently trying to persuade my parents to move to Home Phone.  They have Line Rental with BT, and calls via talk talk. I know Plusnet will sort BT, but what happens with Talk Talk?Huh
11 REPLIES 11
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Talk Talk to Home Phone

I had both line rental and call with Onetel , owned by CarPhone Warehouse ( Talk Talk ), and had no problems switching to PN.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Sounds like they are on carrier pre selection, we used to be on that and switched suppliers with no issue.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Once you've placed your homephone order, things will trickle through the system, you will get a letter from TT saying they are sorrry you are leaving and possibly grovelling with reminders of special offers etc etc, they may ask you to phone them to try and persaude you to stay, or they may phone you - just tell them what you think of their customer service & tell them to "go away". You'll also get a letter from BT, pretty much same sort of ****. If you speak with them they tell you all sorts of porkies (& will subsequently claim this was due to confusion implying it was yours). Thank them very much and say you are leaving, endof.
coastergrotto
Grafter

When I switched I just notified TalkTalk I was leaving and they sent me a letter saying unless they heard to the contrary by a certain date they would cease the service.  All went very smoothly, no problems whatsovere.
prichardson
Grafter

If this is carrier pre-selection as it sounds, you will need to notify TalkTalk.
Carrier pre-selection is an overlay service that can remain in place even after switching to us. It is used to route your call charges via another provider whilst your actual line rental is via somebody else such as BT or us.
Overall, you would need to contact TalkTalk to establish if you need to cancel their service.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thank you for your query. We can sort everything out with both BT and Talk Talk without a problem; the ordering process involves their notification regardless, so they will be made aware and will close everything off as per their usual methods. Please advise on how you would like to proceed. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch by replying to this ticket at http://contactus.plus.net.

This is the latest ticket reply. Can you advise phil please..
Anotherone
Champion

Well sorry to say Mr. Richardson, I've changed 2 CPS accounts from TalkTalk and I didn't have to contact them in either case. The first paragraph on each of their letters was "We have received a request to transfer your service to another telephone provider. We are treating this as your notice to terminate your agreement with TalkTalk for the account listed above."
Switching CPS providers, apart from the letter from the one you are leaving, a letter from BT - "Transferring all calls to an alternative network operator using Carrier Pre-Selection (CPS).
We have received a request from another Service Provider, informing us that you wish to transfer all calls to their network from the following telephone number(s)......"
On WLR, Letter from BT ... "We have received an order to transfer your telephone service (line(s) and calls if you are making them through BT Retail currently) from BT Retail to another telephone company. We are treating this as your notice to terminate your agreement with BT Retail for that service. We are sorry ......."
It is automatic and how the system is supposed to work. That said, if you don't get a letter from the provider you are leaving you should contact them - but as I said it is however normally automatic.
But here if you want a laugh is the best bit - another switch was from TalkTalk CPS /BT line Rental  to OneTel WLR+calls and Opal still managed to turn me off their network ( talk about incompetance).
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Interesting they must have changed the rules in the past year, I used to use itplc for line & calls, and transferred back to BT on their free eve & w/e option. I was then still billed by itplc for a another 3 months after I had left them, I contacted them and they said "nobody told us you were leaving" and I had to pay the 3 months.
I had assumed it was like changing utility companies where you get the letter saying abc is taking over is this correct, but was to busy to check that there was no letter from them.
So I would say email/snail mail them telling them you are leaving on such and such a date then you can be sure that they have been told, and you will not be charged for the privilege of not using there service.
(Jut my 2p's worth, YMMV)
leewilson78
Grafter

I had several letters and voicemails from TT, shortly after transferring both line rental and broadband to PN, my line has just gone through today, so first thing tomorrow I am canceling everything with TT, not looking forward to it, the number I called on the letter was a nightmare, they actually lied to me, said that I would be liable to pay a cancellation, even though I was outside of my contract period.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't cancel your DD/CC payment until they've taken your final bill, but on the other hand ring them to check the amount, despite the hassle it will be, what other forms of payment will they take .....goes to look at old bills.... no bar code, can't pay at PO. but that was a while ago and online billing might give a different set of options. Ask what the final amount is, if they try to sting you, tell thing it is wrong. E-mail or write to them to tell them it is wrong and you are officially notifying them that you are in dispute and that if they take the wrong amount by DD you will get the bank to reverse payment and you will take TT to the small claims court for compensation for bank charges, distress etc.
mal0z
Grafter

Unlike Pipex ( Tiscalli ) who were useless when I transfered, I actually found the process of moving from Onetel(TaltTalk) rather painless.
Yes they phoned me and tried to persuade me to change my mind, but they were't overly pushy. They made one mistake with billing at the end, but  corrected it immediately I told them by email - and the money was credited overnight.
Mal