cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWO-WEEK LONG severe crackling on phone - TERSE, UNSYMPATHETIC Plusnet call handler

markce_1969
Hooked

TWO-WEEK LONG severe crackling on phone - TERSE, UNSYMPATHETIC Plusnet call handler

I am at the end of my tether with Openreach, the MONOPOLY engineering body, who we HAVE to rely on to solve any faults we have on our phones.

Two weeks ago, the initial problem was passed to Openreach by the (then polite) Plusnet call handler.

Openreach then messed around for two days at my local exchange. They even competently managed to COMPLETELY DISCONNECT my line, at one point, which they did admit later was an 'engineer error.'

When I reported back to Plusnet that my problem with disrupted broadband and virtually UNUSABLE, CRACKLING PHONE LINE continued, despite the work at the exchange, they arranged ANOTHER appointment, this time for an engineer to actually visit my home.

This happened YESTERDAY. The guy was lovely, to be fair. He fiddled around, I even bought  brand NEW handset, just incase that was the cause, we tried it in the socket, but no improvement.

The engineer did succeeded in reducing the interference, but within TWO HOURS, it was back to severe levels again. I got the impression that Openreach simply DO NOT WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY actually REPLACING the overhead/wall wiring that runs to my socket point, from the main pole across the road from my property - and that they prefer to mess customers around, for as long as they can get away with it, hoping the problem will eventually go away without costing THE COMPANY too much in repair costs.

This morning, I phoned Plusnet AGAIN to report that I still have the fault.

I was ASSURED that an engineer would be asked to come on Friday 8th.

Imagine my HORROR, when I call back Plusnet this afternoon, just to confirm - and then to be told by a frankly EBRASIVE, MISERABLE SOUNDING call handler that 'Openreach have told us they have done a bit more work on your line this morning, and your appointment for Friday will be cancelled.'

I AM FURIOUS.

I AM THE CUSTOMER, HERE. ME. I PAY THE LINE RENTAL. ME. 

I suggest all parties here REMEMBER THAT.

I STILL HAVE A TERRIBLE PHONE LINE.

I am sitting here now, having been told to simply 'keep calling back Plusnet for updates.'

WHY SHOULD IT HAVE TO BE ME?

WHY AM I NOW LEFT IN LIMBO, at the mercy of Openreach?

I really, really am FURIOUS.

I WILL go to the OFCOM regulator and lodge a formal complaint if my line isn't returned to excellent working order.

I really hope Plusnet see how upset I am and RESTORE MY FRIDAY 8TH APPOINTMENT - or at least TELL ME THAT OPENREACH ARE PREPARED TO REPLACE ALL OF MY WIRING AND THE EXTERNAL OVERHEAD WIRES, IF ULTIMATELY THAT IS WHAT IT TAKES.

Has anyone else had a similar Openreach nightmare, or encountered a rude Plusnet call handler?

And if you read this, Plusnet, PLEASE SORT IT ALL OUT. My hair is falling out and not sure I can avoid going bald with all the stress!

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: TWO-WEEK LONG severe crackling on phone - TERSE, UNSYMPATHETIC Plusnet call handler

Sorry to hear of your poor experience

I believe we've since rebooked your engineer visit in for this Friday AM for you.

Can you let us know how it goes?

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markce_1969
Hooked

Re: TWO-WEEK LONG severe crackling on phone - TERSE, UNSYMPATHETIC Plusnet call handler

I will let you know how the appointment pans out.

I have to tell you that this latest experience of dealing with your call centre has left me very unhappy indeed. I am NOT going to stop until this issue with my phone line is resolved - I can assure you that I am a tenacious person, like a dog with a bone, I will take this issue all the way to OFCOM, my local MP and beyond, if ultimately necessary 

In 2017, a customer of Openreach and a service provider like yourselves should expect a near perfect quality phone line, in order to allow good internet speeds.

My current internet speed has tumbled, as a result of this fault.

I will post back to this thread after Friday.

markce_1969
Hooked

Happy to report that the THIRD engineer to call at my home, in two-and-a-half weeks, has actually (fingers and everything else crossed!) sorted out my problems.

He was a VERY skilled engineer, lovely young guy called Mark, he could immediately tell that I had a severe fault - and apologised for the failure to diagnose properly on previous occasions.

He had to completely re-route my faulty line on to a new circuit, involving having to do work right at the top of the telephone pole, opposite my house, and also at the local sub-exchange box, a few streets away.

Was thoroughly delighted with his attitude, and I am now just hoping for a smoother run, over the coming few months and onwards.

With regard to Plusnet, well, the customer service centre has some really GOOD reps - but it has become clear that the company has grown very quickly and some of the advisers need replacing, because of quite poor English language skills - whilst others certainly they retraining - and to be taught how to properly communicate without being abrasive and rude.

I am trying to offer constructive criticism.

I will be retaining my Plusnet contract, for now, and hopefully the company can address the problems which myself - and clearly some other forum users - have experienced.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Happy to hear this is resolved, and thanks for the feedback..

If you like to pass on your thanks to the engineer, please spend a few minutes filling out this form.

Let us know if there's anything else we can assist with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet