cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched today from BT to Plusnet – 1571 Advice please

randpwar
Grafter

Switched today from BT to Plusnet – 1571 Advice please

I have just switched from BT to Plusnet and have received a text at 9am telling me all is now active and have been into my Member Centre account details and phone is now included. I noticed in another thread that advice was given that 1571 needs to switched on as it is off by default, however, when I look in ‘Call Features’ it already has a green dot for ‘active’ against Voicemail; so which is right? Is Voicemail active as default?
Thanks
Rob
14 REPLIES 14
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Switched today from BT to Plusnet – 1571 Advice please

I guess that means that it is active. Why don't you ring your phone number and see what happens?
Bob
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Yes, 1571 voicemail is provided to everyone by default so it should be working fine.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
randpwar
Grafter

Yep, thanks Adam, I tried it last night and all is well; I just didn't get time to come on here, sorry
Absolutely seamless change to Plusnet so many thanks to all, SWMBO has already given the new phone system a good testing!  :D………Hope my FTTC order goes as smoothly next week!!
jkerr82508
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
1571 voicemail is provided to everyone by default

If that is the case, the Call Features Guide needs to be corrected. (I don't use it and IIRC I did not have to de-activate it when I switched to Home Phone last month.)
Jim
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry! it seems I'm incorrect on that, sorry for any confusion.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
randpwar
Grafter

But as I said in my original note ‘I noticed in another thread that advice was given that 1571 needs to switched on as it is off by default, however, when I look in ‘Call Features’ it already has a green dot for ‘active’ against Voicemail; so which is right? Is Voicemail active as default?’ In other words, voicemail appeared to be set on as a default but the instructions say otherwise. They can’t both be right (I have voicemail without specifically activating it on a new account and Call Features advice says it must be activated) as I haven’t changed anything on my account.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi randpwar,
I've just done some digging and it looks like the order for Voicemail Extra was included in the XML that our ordering system sent. It looks from tickets like the order was requested via the portal rather than done internally - I guess you didn't select Voicemail as an option when you requested the transfer?
randpwar
Grafter

Sory Matt I'm afraid I don't quite understand your comment
No, I don’t want and, as far as I am aware, have never added (in any way) Voicemail Extra, I do, however, want the free 1571 voicemail system and have (correctly) had it since transferring my phone to Plusnet on Monday.
The conundrum we appear to be going through here is that the Call Features Guide says ‘Although Voicemail (1571) is free, you'll need to add it via the Telephone Control Panel before you can use it’    but I have not made any change in the Phone Control Panel but Voicemail (note, not Voicemail Extra) is shown with a green dot symbol in Call Features in the Phone Control Panel and I’m able to get Voicemail when dialling 1571.
Ta
Rob
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Apologies, got my order codes mixed up. It is voicemail (the standard one) hence why it's active. I suspect the return XML from the order included the confirmation that it'd been activated, and that's why it's active on our system as well Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

Just looked at the system for my wifes grandmother and that is showing as the voicemail (1571) is active.  when we swapped last month it wasn't active for us by default.  maybe something has changed within Plus Net.  Mind you this account does seem to be reporting someone else'ss phone number from over 100 miles away  Shocked  Grin
Can someone from PN confirm which way around it should be, on by default or not so that everyone is aware please?
The_10th
Grafter

Do you have the option of turning 1571 voicemail off completely?
Come on PN - swap 1571 for Caller ID...  Wink
Edit - or at least the choice  Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I prefer 1571  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
joncooper
Grafter

The charge for caller ID is one thing putting me off switching to plus for phone
£11.88pa for something I get free from BT Sad
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I can only suggest you speak to Customer services - I suppose it will depend what package you are currently on or choose but by switching my all inclusive BT package to PN I have cut my monthly phone costs by 1/4 and that's with paying for Caller ID.