cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Plusnet and all my telephone extensions stopped working.

Kaytealexander

Switched to Plusnet and all my telephone extensions stopped working.

Hi.
I moved to Plusnet in January from VM.
Had paid for engineer visit to do switchover, and only found out on the day when I rang to get an exact time that no engineer was even coming to my house. The work was done externally. At some point there was a half ring in all my telephones in the house which I guess was the switchover happening.
However that was the last time my tel extensions ever worked! They are completely dead now. No dial tone, nothing.
The main phone line at the socket IS still working though.
However I had wanted the engineer to move the location of that socket as it is behind a wardrobe in a side room of the house ( I know -such a crazy location)
So the lack of engineer visit means my extensions aren’t working, just the line behind the cupboard in the side room!
PLUSNET haven’t exactly helped this far. I’ve been hung up on the customer support site and cut off on the phone. They still want to charge me for the visit to move the socket and they have given me no answers on the telephone extension problem suggesting I get an electrician to look as if it’s my problem not one they’ve created themselves.
Really frustrating
Does anybody have any suggestions please as to what this issue might be?
And should a new customer pay (again ) for a relocation of a master socket above the standard install fee?
Thx very much for any ideas!!
7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Switched to Plusnet and all my telephone extensions stopped working.

@Kaytealexander Welcome to the forums. Why your extensions aren't working I don't know - maybe @MisterW  or @198kHz can answer that - they have more experience than me. Smiley .

With regard to moving the main socket, I'm afraid that is a separate chargeable service, although if the engineer had actually needed to visit, you may have been lucky and got one that would do it - would depend on the engineer and the amount of work involved, though.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Kaytealexander 

Was your previous service provided by a cable company and the router and phone plugged in to a different master socket? If so the extensions will not be connected to the BT master socket. Unfortunately the Plusnet provision ends at the BT master socket and all extension wiring is your responsibility.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 Good spot, but the OP wasn't clear on that.

Also, wonder which socket the router is plugged into?Huh

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1  In the opening post ... I moved to Plusnet in January from VM.

I guess that means Virgin cable

So the extensions are probably not connected to the BT master.

jab1
Legend

@RealAleMadrid Ooops, must stop answering once I've had my dinner, I start to tire easy these days. 😀

John
Kaytealexander

Yes this switch was from Virgin to Plusnet.
But I had previously switched from BT to Virgin -and my extensions have never been affected previously.
Is there anything I can do myself to fix this? Why don’t Plusnet seem even to recognise this as a normal problem?
As the engineer didn’t visit my house I assume it’s something external that was done & could be changed back to allow my extensions to work again
Surely Plusnet should be taking some responsibility for this?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Kaytealexander 

I assume that VM rewired  your extensions when they installed their service. Changing the extensions back is a fairly simple task for someone with DIY skills. I doubt that this is a normal problem and if an engineer had visited he would have been under no obligation to rewire these sockets as part of the install.

Plusnet has advised that you employ a local electrician to do it for you. Alternatively if you look in your local paper you might find an ex BT technician to do it if you don’t know anyone else who could help.

I realise that you are unhappy with this but the only other thing that Plusnet can do is send Openreach out to sort it. I believe that their charge for moving a master socket is £160.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'