Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly Caller Display shows an International incoming number

Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Suddenly Caller Display shows an International incoming number

Not a complaint !
This morning we received our (fairly) regular call from friends in Spain. Up till now caller display has shown 'silence' (may be a different interpretation on other phone types) but today it showed their name - they are in our contacts.
Anyone else aware of this ? Has something been changed somewhere to allow international identification ?
Just interested...
Peter
20 REPLIES 20
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Suddenly Caller Display shows an International incoming number

Not much help, but I found when roaming it is hit and miss whether my mobile number is displayed when calling back to the UK.
When I called my parents, sometimes they would answer when my number came through, and they wouldn't when 'International' was displayed.
(Well that's what they told me anyway).
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Peterworks,
Yes, we've been informed that some international calls will now have the number shown if you have Caller Display. You may find that certain other numbers may not be shown, however, the particular number that you've now seen displayed should continue to be displayed for you in the future Smiley
Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thank you both - will have to see what happens when our Belgian friends phone.
Peter
Ado16
Grafter

Friend of mine in France. His number regularly appears either as "Unavailable", or "International".  It has appeared as a number a couple of times though.  We've put it down to the route the call takes through the various exchanges and how modern they are.  Though It seems incongruous to me today that any number from anywhere cannot be read.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Some information here: http://recombu.com/digital/news/international-caller-id-on-bt-phone-lines-spam_M12225.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
picbits
Rising Star

Oldish thread but still relevant.
My phone today (for the first time) displayed the CLID of the stepsons dad when he called from Germany this morning Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

From autumn 2013 customers will, if required, in addition to the wording INTL, start to see the CLI of calls from abroad. Our plan is, as exchanges are upgraded, to roll out this facility to all customers by autumn 2014. This network development will allow customers to screen their calls more easily and recognise the numbers of friends and family calling from abroad. It will also readily provide CLI /data to help customers report their calls to the regulators.

From http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmcumeds/writev/636-i/ntc008.htm item 19.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
AndyH
Grafter

This is how it should display on your phone:
INTERNATIONAL and calling number - if the call is marked as International in origin
INTERNATIONAL and Withheld - if the caller has withheld their number
INTERNATIONAL and Unavailable - if there is no caller identity to be displayed
elkieluca
Grafter

Do I have to do anything other than have their names and numbers in my phone to have my daughters who live in Spain and Ireland's number to show on Caller ID.  As so far it still just says International.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I suspect that may be a "wait and see", though we received a call from New Zealand a couple of days ago and the phone display was the just the "00" number (the number wasn't in the phone address book, now copied in).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: maryf
Do I have to do anything other than have their names and numbers in my phone to have my daughters who live in Spain and Ireland's number to show on Caller ID.  As so far it still just says International.

No!  I think you might have got the wrong end of the stick here.  When sorted out, international numbers (if available) will display on a CLID phone.  If that phone can match the CLI to a number stored in the phone, they generally also display the name associated with that number in the phone.
If working, their NUMBERS would be displayed regardless of them being "in the phone".
Hope this makes sense?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ado16
Grafter

As an update from this end - Friend in France in the past week or so has had his number displayed on every occasion.  Pleased at this "breakthrough" - It's been a long time coming really.  Also, I now wonder whether it might be worth buying a call blocker to escape those other not so genuine International calls now the exchange can distinguish between them. 
elkieluca
Grafter

I still haven't got it working and don't know why.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@maryf
Since this is a "rollout" by BT, your exchange may not have been upgraded to provide this information. The "plan" is for all exchanges to have this by the Autumn Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.