Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription charge

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Subscription charge

I changed to home phone on the 9th April (Evenings and weekends £9.99) and have just noticed I have a subscription charge of £18.32 on my account. Where on earth did that figure come from? I thought the account was paid monthly.
48 REPLIES 48
James
Grafter

Re: Subscription charge

Hi George,
I'm not seeing that figure.  the last invoice I can see that was raised to you was for £10 to take your Home Phone billing in line with your Broadband and for additional call charges.
paulby
Grafter

@glloyd
Are you referring to your itemised bill in the Home Phone control panel?
If you are, the amount you're seeing is probably because the first bill on your account covers your pro-rata period and the period up to your next billing date (check the date range in the drop down box on the right).
You're subs will show a total of the pro-rata amount PLUS £9.99 for the first full month so, I'm assuming that you were billed a pro-rata amount of £8.33.
This odd way of presenting the first itemised bill confused me the first time I saw it. It's also confused every one of my referrals!  Subsequent bills do, however, cover only one month.
However, the invoices here will show that the correct amounts are taken from your bank.  (Which should be a pro-rata charge on or about the day you changed over and a £9.99 charge on your normal billing date.)
Basically the first "bill" itemises two invoices.
glloyd
Rising Star

Even more confused now as £10 has already been taken out of my account. What a daft way of showing what you are paying. How on earth are you supposed to keep a check on what you being charged for, not my idea of an itemised bill.
paulby
Grafter

The £10 is likely to be (as Jameseh has said) your pro-rata charge to cover line rental up to your next normal billing date PLUS the charge for any non-inclusive calls that you made up until the pro-rata charge was invoiced.  (You should be able to check this on the appropriate invoice on this page).
As I said, the totals for your first itemised bill cover the period up to your first normal billing date plus the first full month.
I don't know why PN do it this way instead of separating out the pro-rata period as an itemised bill in its own right - it just seems to cause confusion the way it's done just now.
Anyway, if you look at the invoices linked to they should, hopefully, be for the correct amounts.
Edit: I've attached a screenshot of my first bill with some annotation.
glloyd
Rising Star

Yes I see the £10 but the Itemised Bill is also showing £18.32 for 9/4/2008 to 3/6/2008.

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi George,
I'm not seeing that figure.  the last invoice I can see that was raised to you was for £10 to take your Home Phone billing in line with your Broadband and for additional call charges.
paulby
Grafter

@glloyd
Are you still having a problem seeing where the £18.32 figure comes from, or do you understand it now?
£8.33 from 9/4/2008 to 3/5/2008 pro-rata subscription as it's a part month to bring you in line with the day you normally pay your broadband subs.
£9.99 from 4/5/2008 to 3/6/2008 normal subscription for a full month.  Total subs = £18.32

You'll still be charged the correct amounts on the correct dates, it's just that the first "bill" covers two periods
i.e. You'll have been charged £8.33 plus call charges to take you to 3/5/2008 (that's the £10 already taken)
On 4/5/2008 you'll be charged £9.99 plus call charges.
The subscription charge for the entire period is shown on the first bill but taken in two chunks at the correct times.  You'll land up paying the correct amount.
Subsequent bills only cover one month.
Edit: typo correction
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Paul03
You'll still be charged the correct amounts on the correct dates it's just that the first "bill" covers two periods

I'm on last day of first full month and bill date shows as 25/02/2008 to 17/04/2008
Correct amount was taken on 18/03/2008 albeit payment summary shows total period.
One can see why OP is puzzled but, as others have assured him, it doesn't mean he'll actually be overcharged.
glloyd
Rising Star

Right got it now, thanks. What a damn daft way of doing it, clear as mud if it's not explained.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I'm in Canada at the moment (It's 8.50am here in Alberta) and I have just received an email stating that my Home Phone move to PlusNet has been completed.  There will be a Pro Rate charge of £1.33 to my first billing date which I understand.    When clicking onto Itemised Bill it shows the total as £11.32.
What concerns me though there is no mention of the £5 per month discount to applied for the first three months.  Will this be automatically included  when I receive notification by email of my pending direct debit payment?
nadger
Rising Star

£5/month discount will appear as a separate credit note against your account and be debited from monthly payment.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks for that.
nadger
Rising Star

Just checking my invoices and it may appear as special offer discount of £4.26 + £0.74 VAT on actual invoice - it was referrals that had separate credit note.
Ashworth
Dabbler

The same thing has recently happened to me. My move from BT to Home Phone was completed last Saturday but there was no mention of my £5 discount for the first 3 months.
After contacting Plusnet I was informed that it was because I was currently already receiving a £5 per month discount for my broadband, having agreed to stay with Plusnet for a further year.
I was informed that two discounts could not be applied at the same time. I find that hard to believe!
After pointing out that no-where during the sign up proceedure for Home Phone was this clearly stated I have been promised that my 3 months @ £5 discount for Home Phone will be deducted once my other broadband discount has finished. I wait to see if this really will happen. I have my doubts? 
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Someone want to sort out a PUGIT item for us to fix this?  Probably working as designed, but not designed that well Smiley
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager