Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange tone before dialling

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Strange tone before dialling

I have just started to get a tone after dialling before the phone actually starts to dial the number. sounds a bit like a number unobtainable/international type tone and lasts about 2 secs before dialling the number. not noticed it before. What might it be? Otherwise phone seems to work fine.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Strange tone before dialling

Do you have the 1571 voicemail service enabled on your account? If the tone is broken dial tone it means you have a message.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that. that is what it is. didn't know I had it enabled! It must have got turned on with the switch from BT to PN a few weeks ago. does it cost. can you turn it off - we have an answerphone anyway and would prefer people just got an engaged tone and tried again later.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

1571 can be turned off in the Phone section of the members centre. I believe it is free, both as a feature and to use,  but a proper answering machine is much better!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The feature is called Voicemail and is free. You can turn it off yourself by going into the Home Phone Control Panel.
Select the Call Features tab which displays "Add Call Features". Click the "Remove Call Features" tab alongside. You should find Voicemail listed. Select that and click the "remove features" button to initiate its removal.
David
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

thanks both, sorted