cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange landline problem

stephenwillo
Hooked

Strange landline problem

I have just moved to Plusnet from TalkTalk and I'm finding that my cordless landline phone now indicates when a call is incoming but doesn't actually ring. The handset is not faulty since it works perfectly when connected to a line in a different property. Other corded and cordless phones work fine on my line.
I suspect that there is now insufficient voltage (gain) on my line to power the ringer on my existing handset.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so how was it resolved, if at all?
12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Strange landline problem

@stephenwillo Welcome to the forums. Very strange, as cordless phones do not rely on the 'ringer' signal on your line - they have their own power,

John
jab1
Legend

Added for clarity

The other details you gave point to an issue with - probably - your base station/charging cradle.

John
stephenwillo
Hooked

Thanks John. But it all works perfectly when connected identically at a different property ... ?
jab1
Legend

Does it ring if it is off the cradle when someone calls? If other phones in your house ring - how many have you got? - or at another property, it does point to the equipment, and not the fact that you have moved providers.

John
stephenwillo
Hooked

Doesn't ring if out of the cradle. The other paired wireless units in the set don't ring either. Only one socket is in use in the house, so we're not looking at a REN problem.
jab1
Legend

If 'other corded and cordless phones work fine on my line', then something is wrong with that set of phones, most probably the base station - nothing to do with your provider.

John
stephenwillo
Hooked

Openreach have identified it as an exchange issue. Plusnet have raised a fault.
jab1
Legend

I'm still confused - you have said 'other phones work OK' previously - if it is an exchange issue - discovered on a Saturday evening/Sunday morning, when AFAIK there is no OR support for such issues - we appear to be being given not the full story.

However, I hope you get it sorted.

John
stephenwillo
Hooked

Found a very helpful Openreach engineer locally through a neighbourhood network who knows exactly what the problem is and was able to set the process in motion. Thanks for your help.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@stephenwillo Intriguing. It would be interesting, and useful for future reference, if you could post back when you have details of the problem and its solution. Thanks.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
stephenwillo
Hooked

The problem has now been resolved, and it was indeed at the exchange. I don't know the technical details but the OpenReach engineeer reassigned the line in some way. The handset is now working perfectly, as it did before the changeover to Plusnet. There was never a fault with the handset.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@stephenwillo wrote:
I don't know the technical details but the OpenReach engineeer reassigned the line in some way.

Shame there's no further detail, but thanks for trying.

I'm just surmising - that maybe the change to Plusnet involved a shift to a different line card, and that card's ringing supply was not quite the full ticket. Maybe struggled on a longer line...?Huh

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)