Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Voice Mails

choccylab
Dabbler

Strange Voice Mails

Hello.

I have a very odd error that's been going on for some months but is now getting worse.

I come in to a voice mail that says 

"please redial with the area code 01908 etc etc (it then lists my OWN phone number) and then says "you have not been charged for this call"

What on earth is going on?  How am I getting calls resulting in voice mails where the usual automated voice telling you to use an area code is there reading out my own number to me.  

At first this would happen once a week, now we are receiving them 3 or 4 times a day.  Any suggestions welcome...

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Strange Voice Mails

Hi there,

That's quite a strange issue. I'm going to try to remove and then re-add your voicemail feature. The process can take an hour or so, I'll let you know once it's completed.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's been done now. Let us know if you continue to have this issue.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
choccylab
Dabbler

Hi

I am now getting the message attached but on the voice mail base unit of my BT phone.  Your forum doesn't allow .wav files to be uploaded so once you download it, change the jpg to wav and you'll be able to play and hear the message.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just had a listen, that's strange. Have you tried a different phone in case that's the issue?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
choccylab
Dabbler

Well it's a set of three handsets with one base unit - nothing special and everything else seem fine.  We get a lot of calls where they are silent if we answer - if we don't, we then get this message left!

Of note I can't dial locally without the dial code either - is that usual?  

choccylab
Dabbler

Also I'm wondering how this is skipping the PlusNet voicemail service entirely and getting to the phone base unit now?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@choccylab wrote:

Of note I can't dial locally without the dial code either - is that usual?  

Not usual, but that does apply in Milton Keynes area -

http://www.area-codes.org.uk/01908.php

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@choccylab wrote:

Also I'm wondering how this is skipping the PlusNet voicemail service entirely and getting to the phone base unit now?

That's odd. It's usually the voicemail service that kicks in before a built-in answering machine on the handset. I guess that the opposite could occur too. You could try removing the voicemail feature here. That way, if the problem still occurs it may point to the handset instead.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
choccylab
Dabbler

How would a handset be responsible for generating voice mail messages complaining about a missing area code after receiving an incoming call?  The phone rings, I don't answer it, a few seconds later I get the beep to say there is a message and this is what has been left.  Something from the outside is generating these messages.

Are you able to see when/where my calls are coming from.

Bonus points if someone can tell me the "calls are coming from inside the house"

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Very very odd.  Undecided

Just to clarify - are these messages definitely from 1571 and not from your answering machine?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Are you able to see when/where my calls are coming from.

I'm afraid not.

To try and rule out 1571 voicemail, I'd recommend trying what Anoush suggested:

try removing the voicemail feature here. That way, if the problem still occurs it may point to the handset instead.

If your handset has built in voicemail and you also have voicemail on your line itself, one will simply be made redundant by the other.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet