cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straight to messaging

robert1935
Grafter

Straight to messaging

Hi, hope someone can help cos I have just gone and bought a new state of the art phone !!!!!
On my old phone the incoming calls did not ring the phone but went direct to the messaging service, and the callers could record their message no problem, I tried everything to rectify the problem but to no avail and concluded that it was the phone that was faulty.
But not so, cos after setting up the new phone exactly the same thing is happening  Cry Cry Cry not taking incoming calls !!!!!!!!!!
Is it a Plusnet problem ?
Regards Bob
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Straight to messaging

Assuming you hasn't got a separate answering machine it does sound like a Plusnet/BT problem as the standard 1571 or the advanced one, if you haven't set it to pick up immediately,  should ring several times before transferring to the answer service
However there is one other possibility - the phone ring system isn't working and other than trying a new filter on the phone I can't think of anything at your end which would cause it so it could be an exchange problem
robert1935
Grafter

Thanks OldJim,
When I phone my number from my mobile I can hear it ringing out 4 times before it goes direct to the messaging service, is there a setting somewhere that turns of the messaging service.
Regards Bob
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

It could be the 'interesting' wiring of 'robert1935's master socket,  see Reply #174 and Reply #196   Undecided

dragon2611
Grafter

But the phone itself isn't ringing?
Can you try it in your master telephone socket with everything else disconnected, also just check the ringer isn't on mute (I know it seems kinda silly but worth check as if Openreach come out and it turns out to be that then it can be a very expensive way to find out it was your phone)
Anyway if after testing in the main socket and ensuring the ringer is enabled on your phone it still doesn't work then it's probably worth raising a fault with your voice provider (plusnet?) as there are certain faults that can occur on the line/exchange equipment that cause your phone not to ring.
On the bright side at least it's not the other way round, I've seen faults in the past where the phone just rings constantly, you can imagine how annoying that one would be  Shocked