cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping nuisance calls

asdfghjkl
Grafter

Stopping nuisance calls

Is there any way to stop them from known numbers without having to pay for an add-on service?
We've had lots of silent calls from the following number the past week:
006 128 103 4018
...and the frequency is increasing.
I'm working nights, so I go to bed around 9am, and get three calls around 10am.  I received another one at 1:40pm (15 minutes ago) and decided to get up for good.
Friends and family are courteous enough not to call when I'm on nights, and I expect the odd random call, but these ones - presumably people hoping to scam me - are getting a bit much and I have no way to complain and ask them to stop.
10 REPLIES 10
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Re: Stopping nuisance calls

They have just called again.  This time there is an extra zero at the front of the number. 
0006 128 103 4018
Very weird.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Nuisance calls are just that, a nuisance. There are a few options available, but the majority are an additional add-on or call feature. I'll create a ticket on your account with some information and the options, if you want to take any of them up just reply to the ticket and we'll get on to it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Simplest way is get a call blocker. I bought one 2 years ago, now I rarely get any spam calls. If I do one press of the button and they are blocked as well.
I use a CPR Callblocker but others are available.
One of cost unlike the call features. Mine has paid for itself many times over. I used to get upto 6 spam calls a day. "Your PC has a problem" calls from "M$ support" yeah really?? I use Linux 😉
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

....One off cost for the call blocker....but ongoing cost for caller display which you have to have to make it work!! Angry
HairyMcbiker
All Star

True but CID is pretty much essential these days anyway. And you still need it for the choose to refuse I think.
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Nuisance calls are just that, a nuisance. There are a few options available, but the majority are an additional add-on or call feature. I'll create a ticket on your account with some information and the options, if you want to take any of them up just reply to the ticket and we'll get on to it.

I realise your costs are BT costs, and this is beyond your control, but:
We've had the same number since 1996 when we moved into this house.  We've always been ex directory and we've been on the TPS since its inception.  Nuisance calls have always been rare and easily dealt with.
It's just depressing that - when an international entity decides it's going to repetitively ring day after day - it would probably cheaper to subscribe or buy into whatever they are selling to shut them up, than it would be to rent the add-on require to block them.
I've got a feeling the solution to this problem will be to drop the landline when the contract runs out, and become permanently reliant on a mobile phone instead.  At least there are free or cheap apps which let you block calls from specific numbers.  I don't really want to abandon the land-line, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay a recurring fee to block a number from one single abusive international organisation.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Sadly you need to KEEP the landline (you don't have to use it though) to get adsl/fibre.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Den Guv - I may be totally useless here, but does your phone not allow you to turn the ringer off totally, I know mine does?
John
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Quote from: jab1
Den Guv - I may be totally useless here, but does your phone not allow you to turn the ringer off totally, I know mine does?

Yes, but I don't want to turn it off.  With a relative in and out of hospital, it's quite possible I'll get calls that I don't want to miss.  As I said in my original post, I will get calls now and then during the day when I'm working nights and it's not a problem.  It's almost always family or friends who are capable of making good judgements on when to call.  When some overseas company is ringing, hanging-up, ringing, hanging-up repeatedly then, calling back an hour later and doing the same, the situation becomes impossible.  After my experience today I honestly wonder if it constitutes harassment.
It's amazing really that the options are so limited.  The technology is there, but apparently BT are more interested in profiting from customer's distress than getting rid of the problem.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Understand - as I said, I may be totally useless. My sister thinks I am, anyway. Wink
John