Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no telephone service

Chronos
Grafter

Still no telephone service

From the other thread which is now in the wrong forum:
Openretch van arrives, bloke opens the conduit access by the pole on which our DP is mounted and fiddles with the patch frame in there - no idea why as they haven't touched that at all before my line went off. DSL is up and down like a fiddler's elbow. He then goes off to the cab, whereupon I thought he would finally sort it when the DSL went down for another ten minutes, which turned out to be a triumph of optimism over experience. DSL comes back, still 54 down and 18 up on either router (I have a TP-Link TD-W9980 running OpenWRT as well as the Hub One).
Trouble is, the phone is exactly the same as it was, i.e. one wire from the exchange to the cab, no ground. The cab grounds my segment cab->home so I get a 50V PD at my socket but there's now a massive antenna between the cab and the exchange and the line isn't balanced any more so it introduces an imperial muck-ton of common-mode noise which I assume the cab can't filter because the characteristic impedance of the input line is screwed so it degrades the DSL signal. Do Openretch not have test handsets any more? Surely he can't have mistaken this https://www.chronos.org.uk/owncloud/index.php/s/dVup90EoI35wekp for a dial tone? I'll bet a pound to a pinch that they've knocked my ground out of the frame when they disconnected the old jumpers at the exchange DSLAM.  Angry
Top marks to Plusnet for getting them out on the 23rd December, though. Still not blaming you folks, you've done all that is humanly possible, so have a good holiday and we'll sort this out in the new year Wink
Edit 24th: Seems more and more likely that it is exchange side. I'm seeing a drop in sync speed (Now 48 down 18 up) as the ground dries out, which is what I would expect as the noise rises if the exchange->cab segment is missing its ground. Could still be either end but I'm betting on exchange since yesterday's messing with the cab didn't fix it.

Just another update: The damned thing still rings. Okay, I expected this in this failure mode as I still have the -50V wire and the cab grounds the other, so the ring signal will still get to the device. No caller ID, which confuses the bejesus out of my blocker box as it tries to reject the anonymous call and fails because it can't complete the circuit, and it rings until it rings out. Most annoying, especially as I suspect they're either PPI calls or offers of solar panels, neither of which excellent offers I want to miss Roll_eyes
Sorry to be so bloody-minded about this but it really gets my goat when OR cause faults and then mess about putting them right - and we've no recourse to get them the rocket up the rear they so richly deserve without pestering you folks.
As an aside, there really should be a way to send a couple of kV up the FXS port of auto-diallers and possibly the posterior port of the people who set them up...
4 REPLIES 4
Chronos
Grafter

Re: Still no telephone service

Still no phone. I don't think Openretch even bothered to look on the last ticket. Patience-o-meter needle is dropping and I have quite a verbose letter to Ofcom in the draft stage.
Chronos
Grafter

And now BT (I can think of a few things that acronym resolves to right now, the first word being "bungling") Openwoe declare MBORC. I'm beginning to wonder if someone's having a laugh here. It certainly isn't me, though.
On the plus side, I have rigged up a passive repeater so I can get a signal on my mobile that isn't dependent on daft apps and the Internet. The calls are cheaper (Three UK's 3,2,1 tariff) so if you want to chop the massive, useless noise antenna off completely and leave me with unhindered VDSL2...
Never going to happen, is it?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Chronos,
Feel free to PM me with your username if you need anything checked on our side.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chronos
Grafter

Thanks, Adam, I'll PM you the account name but I don't think there's much else you folks can do on this until BT get themselves sorted out. I don't know if there's any mechanism to report this sort of thing back to Openreach but it seems every time that cabinet (WNMOS, cab 5) is touched, someone ends up with either a dead line or degraded service. Every single time I've switched provider or technology this has happened - the first time was when I ditched Home Highway (remember that?) for 1 whole megabit DSL and ended up with exactly this, no earth connection. I suppose I should be used to it by now but the feeling of helplessness and inability to impart clue to the needy is pretty debilitating. Back in the day, the punishment for this sort of thing was being forced to make up twinax patch leads for a fortnight. You soon learnt to double check everything after just one of those...
I have a proper Krone tool if they want to borrow one  Wink