cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spurious charges for speaking clock 123 - mystery solved

surfclub

Spurious charges for speaking clock 123 - mystery solved

I recently complained about several 50p 123 calls I was charged for but didn't make from my home phone but +Net insisted someone made these calls from my home and refused to investigate further. Thankfully I am a member of Which? Magazine and in their latest issue they reported that BT Open Reach, after a lot of complaints, had finally admitted that their engineers routinely call 123 to test the line they are working on, AT OUR EXPENSE ! Shame on you BT for ripping us off as usual and +Net for allowing me to get ripped off !! I will now demand a refund from +Net as they are responsible for supplying my Phone Line which is owned by BT. Watch this space for +Net's response .. Angry
2 REPLIES 2
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Spurious charges for speaking clock 123 - mystery solved

Hi surfclub, welcome to the forums.
I've responded to the ticket on your account and I've issued a refund on this occasion for the 50p charge incurred for a call to 123 back in November.
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but there was only 1 call to this number when I searched back through all the call history and there were no faults raised on your line around the time of this call charge, so I don't quite understand why an engineer would be using your line while investigating problems with someone else's line  Huh
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Spurious charges for speaking clock 123 - mystery solved

Harry,
Its a bad practice used in the past by BT engineers and seems to be still in use by some sub contractors.  They dial 123 on a line, looking for a spare line...
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.