cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slammed - An attempt to take over the phone line...

WWWombat
Grafter

Slammed - An attempt to take over the phone line...

We received an email from Plusnet this evening: "Your phone line is being taken over - here's what you need to know." This wasn't requested by us, so appears to be an attempt at slamming.
The email was a little confusing, because it listed our current phone number, but included a 3 year old address - and we've done two house moves since then.
I rang, and got through to support tonight (after the official closing hours). They rejected the request, and left a ticket open for confirmation tomorrow. From that, I thought I'd take a look at the open & closed tickets to see if I could see any history about the takeover attempt. Here's what I found, in time order:
2015-07-13 20:52:43 - "Ignoring Broadband Unsolicited Cease on service due to either regrade or cancellation by agent."
2015-07-13 20:56:47 - "Ignoring Broadband Unsolicited Cease on service due to either regrade or cancellation by agent."
2015-07-13 21:00:04 - "Cancellation scheduled for Talk Anytime Product 2227xxxx, on 03-08-2015"
2015-07-13 21:00:45 - "The customer was mailed the following message ..." (the email we saw that started this)
Midnight-ish - called support to reject the takeover.
2015-07-14 00:01:?? - "[internal] Cancelled take over request on WLR..." (with an OR order reference). Still open
2015-07-14 00:19:10 - "Ignoring Broadband Unsolicited Cease on service due to either regrade or cancellation by agent."
2015-07-14 01:00:01 - "Scheduled Cancellation was cancelled for Talk Anytime Product 2227xxxx"
2015-07-14 01:00:02 - "The customer was mailed the following message ..."
To me, that looks like there have been 3 attempts to cease broadband as well as the one attempt to cease the phone line. Is that what those tickets (at 20:52, 20:56 and 00:19) tell me?
Why is the address in the email wrong? Our account details have (nearly) the right address for us (which I'll amend later, after we've gotten to the bottom of this), and I see no mention of this old address within the portal.
Is there a way to find out if this transfer request was received through the phone number, or the address?
Worryingly, this request was due to complete when we are on holiday ... and with slightly different timing, we might not have discovered this in time to prevent the loss of the line. With the additional attempts to cease broadband, it looks like something strange is happening here. Is there a way to make sure that further requests are ignored automatically? We aren't attempting to move line - and can't afford outage time if something goes wrong.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
11 REPLIES 11
chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Slammed - An attempt to take over the phone line...

wombat thats why I suggested plusnet add a lock to the member control panel to auto reject requests.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Given the number of issues like this a setting in the user portal would be useful. Even if it was just used as a simple lookup parameter when a request comes in.
Let's be careful out there !
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm just looking at this now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
WWWombat
Grafter

Any joy with this, Matthew?
Plusnet Customer
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not yet I'm afraid.
I suspect the transfer was requested for the phone number rather then the address although I can't confirm.
Why your old address is in the e-mail I'm not sure.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
WWWombat
Grafter

@chrcol
Aye. The usual answer is that slamming doesn't happen any more. Yet, with the new system in place less than a month, it appears it *does*.
The numbers will tell all, eventually, so I hope PN are keeping track of these things!
@Matthew
Are the three "Ignoring Broadband Unsolicited Cease ... " tickets an indication that there were indeed three separate attempts to stop our broadband service, on top of the one that went through for the phone?
Plusnet Customer
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@WWWombat
We only received one cease order for the broadband and phone so I'm confused as to why you've got that message three times.
I'm still looking into this as it appears to be a bizarre one off issue.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
WWWombat
Grafter

Thanks Matthew.
I guess the key thing for me is to know whether the cancellation of the move has taken hold properly. To be sure that things won't go wrong in a week ... and if there is another attempt, it will have to begin a new 2 week period.
Plusnet Customer
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

It's absolutely been cancelled without a doubt. We requested the cancellation, it was accepted. The important bit is that there are now no pending ceases on your line (one would show if the order was still in place).
Interestingly, I noticed a bunch of addresses similar to yours within the realms of your postcode, so I may attribute it to the CP using the wrong address. What is confusing us is why you received notification from the old address, as there is nothing there except your old stopped line.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
chrcoluk
Grafter

for plusnet staff.
I got cutoff today as was expected, what wasnt expected a second sorry you are leaving email which gave me a migration date of tomorrow, as it turned out I still got migrated today, so there may be an error on your systems for that.
WWWombat
Grafter

Thanks for the confirmation Matty.
You are right that our current address is somewhat confusing (for couriers and postmen alike); the digit "1" regularly moves from being part of the street address into the flat number, causing confusion. And, as you saw, there are a lot of addresses down the street with a "flat 1" as part of their address instead. That was why I wondered whether the (attempted) gaining CP had gone through the address rather than the phone number.
Thanks for checking, anyway.
Plusnet Customer