cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky to Plusnet - Tel number change!!

bobbyrabbit
Dabbler

Sky to Plusnet - Tel number change!!

I've just received my order confirmation which shows I have a "Provisional Telephone Number". I took it for granted that I would be keeping my current number?
I also opened a support question regarding this - 81553726
Thanks. Looking forward to the migration.
18 REPLIES 18
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Sky to Plusnet - Tel number change!!

It certainly used to be the case that Sky do not release numbers to be ported out, even if the number was ported in.  A ridiculous state of affairs but one for Ofcom to sort out!
This may not still be the case however - Assuming you haven't already cancelled your Sky line, give them a ring and ask what notification they need from a gaining telco in order to port the number.
NedLudd
Grafter

When I moved over from Sky 1n 2012 my number survived the move but, only after PN advised me to have Sky remove the 'cease' on my line.
I had cancelled my Sky rather than let PN port it all over. Sky put a 'cease' on my line/number which would have put my number back in the BT 'pot' had it not been spotted.
Did Sky put a 'cease' on your line/number?
Geoff,
York.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Interesting thread here and another one here
The latter one was why I asked if Sky had already been contacted to cancel and Ned's experience echoes this...
bobbyrabbit
Dabbler

As Plusnet advised in its sign up email, I have contacted Sky via a support email to let them know I will be moving away. I have not asked them to cancel any services. My number was originally from BT.
Thanks for your replies.
NedLudd
Grafter

My number was also from BT originally (almost 40 years ago)!  Cool
I think I told Sky to cancel the 'cancellation' so they took the 'cease' off and allowed transfer of my number. I did this over the phone.
Perhaps they get funny about numbers allocated by Sky - maybe they have to pay BT for numbers.
Geoff,
York.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bobbyrabbit,
I have just replied to Ticket: 81553726 for you. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused. Please let us know how you wish to proceed by commenting on the ticket and I'll ensure this is carried out by our Provisioning department today.
bobbyrabbit
Dabbler

Hi Linn
I received your message and have replied. Thanks for being prompt.
AndyH
Grafter

Did you get to keep your number?
From reading some posts on the Sky Forums, it would seem that they do allow you to transfer your number to another provider.
It would seem very wrong if Sky let you join them and bring your number across, but refuse to let you move your number to someone else if you want to leave.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just had a look at your reply bobbyrabbit. I can see that my colleague has replied to Ticket: 81553726 and she's outlined the next steps on there.
As soon as we have a confirmed installation date we'll pop that on the ticket and send you a text message (if there's a mobile number on the account).
I've made a further note on your ticket regarding the other queries you had. Our FTTC team will continue to monitor this for you throughout today.
bobbyrabbit
Dabbler

Quote from: AndyH
Did you get to keep your number?
From reading some posts on the Sky Forums, it would seem that they do allow you to transfer your number to another provider.
It would seem very wrong if Sky let you join them and bring your number across, but refuse to let you move your number to someone else if you want to leave.

Yes it looks as though it was a genuine mistake with my order, which has now been resolved. So it looks as though there is no problem keeping my number.
Might be an idea on the online order form that you are given an option to keep your number or have a new one?
bobbyrabbit
Dabbler

I wonder if the staff could check Ticket: 81553726 again please. The mistake regarding my current number transfer has obviously set my new order back a few days. Unfortunately, Sky has sent me a letter saying my services will be cancelled 4 days before the new Plusnet activation date. Please advise? Thanks
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bobbyrabbit,
I've ensured that my colleague has a look into Ticket: 81553726 for you. They've stated that they'll give you a call to further discuss this. I'm really sorry for any further confusion or inconvenience caused.
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Sky tried that on with me too. Sent me a letter saying the new occupiers at my property asked to take over the service. They were very quickly put in their place. Shower of chancers.
For what it's worth, my transfer went through without any issues, despite Sky trying to muddy the waters. It looks like they are so desperate to keep customers they resort to dirty tricks to make it too daunting a prospect to switch. Perhaps if they provided the services they are contracted to, people would be less keen to leave them?
bobbyrabbit
Dabbler

Thanks for letting me know. I have received exactly the same letter, updated from the original. The cancellation date now corresponds with the fibre changeover date, which seems fine. Tazmaniandevil, would you still recommend I contact Sky on the basis that they are saying that the "New Occupiers" want to take over the line?
adie:quote