cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep my Line Rental Saver Package if I am out of the country for 3 months?

FIXED
DunroaminLeo
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Should I keep my Line Rental Saver Package if I am out of the country for 3 months?

I am going to be away just after my Line Rental Saver contract expires and needs renewing, my internet contract does not expire for another 6 months after that.   I will be away for almost 3 months, is it better to change my calls package to the minimum and if so would I need to change that for a 12 months contract or should I just renew the Line Rental Saver contract at the offered saving and lose 3 months calls package and line rental charges?

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Should I keep my Line Rental Saver Package if I am out of the country for 3 months?

@DunroaminLeo  Welcome to the forum.

Line Rental Saver has nothing to do with your calls package. If you are going to keep the service whilst you are away then it will save you abour £2.50 per month to keep it running. That's the good bit. The down side is that when your broadband contract runs out you will still have 6 months LRS. If you're a haggler then this puts you in a weaker position when negotiating a new contract as if you leave in 6 months then you will lose the 6 months line rental paid up front.

If you let LRS lapse you can start it again at any time. The choice is yours!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DunroaminLeo
Grafter

Re: Should I keep my Line Rental Saver Package if I am out of the country for 3 months?

As you say my Broadband contract (internet) has 6 months to run AFTER the LRS 12 month contract commences  in October if I choose to renew it.  My Broadband ends in March next year, so my problem concerns the LRS which I am not sure whether to allow to lapse or continue with.   Presumably my line rental will still have to be paid for which it is at the moment £9 per month as that is needed to continue the Broadband service (even though I won't be here to use it for 3 months), I will need that when I get back.   My query was solely about the LRS which will be running without me being here to use it for 3 months, so only 9 months of usable service.   Surely I will save more than £2.50 per month whilst I am away, if the cost of renewing it is £213 pa or am I misunderstanding how this is paid as I thought only the basic line rental payment of £9 was taken monthly.  If I let it lapse at the end of October without renewing, am I liable for any new charges on my monthly bill for the LRS until I return?

Baldrick1

@DunroaminLeo 

One of us is totally confused. You pay LRS up front. There is no monthly charge. I suspect that the £9 you are referring to is the unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles add on. As far as I am aware you can start and stop this call feature when you want on a monthly contract basis. See this thread for more details on stopping it. https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/How-do-I-cancel-my-call-plan/m-p/1428365#M23329

Moderator and Customer

DunroaminLeo
Grafter

Yes that is correct I believe, so I can stop and start my calls package before I leave and when I come back, so am I right in understanding that this element of the package (the calls package) is not on an ongoing contract, other than governed by the Broadband contract length and the LRS payment up front is a completely separate contract from the calls and broadband contract?

Baldrick1

@DunroaminLeo 

Yes, that is my understanding.  The calls package is certainly totally separate to the LRS and broadband element and can be started and stopped independently.

Moderator and Customer

DunroaminLeo
Grafter

Fix

Thanks for all your help !   😁   I am a happy bunny now! 😄