cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Move my Home Phone to Plusnet?

KevH
Rising Star

Should I Move my Home Phone to Plusnet?

Having come to the end of the line rental saver period with BT, I was wondering if I should move my home phone to PN? Before I talk to sales I'd like some feedback from the users here  Wink
I've been with PN since 2003 and on fibre unlimited since Aug 2012, so out of contract so to speak. When I was paying line saver, monthly bills with BT were in the range £8-10 which covered anytime calls, CLI and calls to a few non-inclusive numbers (plus when the kids forget and call our mobiles from the landline). Not had any issues with the phone or broadband for as long as I can remember.
Any feedback welcome.
Cheers....
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Should I Move my Home Phone to Plusnet?

If you want to move your telephone service you may be able to negotiate a discount on your (fibre) broadband.
If you've had your FTTC unlimited for long enough then you won't be paying the (£2.50/month) penalty for having your phone service elsewhere so you still have the option of using another telephone supplier - that should give you a strong negotiating position for a discount.
If you do move your phone service to Plusnet and want to move it again in the future you may then be hit with the £2.50 extra per month on your broadband for not having line rental with Plusnet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
KevH
Rising Star

I'm not paying the £2.50 surcharge. "Just" £19.99 less 4 quid referral discount.
hadden
Grafter

I've also been with PN since 2003 and I switched my Home Phone to PN in 2007.
In seven years I don't recall having to contact PN about any Home Phone technical or accounting problems. The trigger for me moving from BT was a frustratingly long accounting problem, plus a financial saving.
I've been on Anytime type service from the start as my typical landline usage justifies the fixed charge.
My only very minor gripe a few years ago was that Anytime (at that time) included international minutes to a particular list of countries and my international calls were never to those countries. That is not an issue now.
To control the mobile costs, I added our mobile numbers to the memory of the landline handset and set them to divert via 18185.
For the past 6 months my call plan + call charges + CLI has been -  £7.01, 7.43, 10.96, 6.73, 6.27 and 6.43 (FYI my inclusive calls total varies between 2 to 8 hours each month)
I also recently recommended a friend switch from BT to PN. It wasn't in the time frame to miss the recent LRS increase but at least he'll miss the next BT LRS increase.
SharonBrown
Grafter

Smiley Hi there, it's good to see positive feedback about our home phone service.  Having checked your account, you are in a really good position to strike a deal if you decide to bring your phone over.  You can either speak to our customer options guys or if you let me know when would be convenient, I'd be happy to give you a quick call and discuss your options.
Best wishes
Sharon
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Of all the "combined" phone/internet suppliers PN is one that I would consider, there are many I wouldn't.
At present I can't move from BT because I use features that BT provide and PN do not.
Your situation will be different, but factors I consider as relevant are:
1. Are the phone and BB irrevocably tied together? I want the freedom to change either whenever I want (subject to normal contract notice etc.).
2. What extras do you get at what cost, such as caller id (free with BT but not with PN), answering service etc.
3. Customer service reputation (PN probably better than BT, but see 4...)
4. How difficult faults are dealt with, including diversion of calls to alternative/mobile numbers (BT beats PN here, I think)
5. Handling of disadvantaged/at-risk (old, disabled, deaf, etc.) customers requirements
I'm sure there are many others, but it's how important they are to you.
You'll note I don't mention price; I don't think there's much in it between any of the phone suppliers these days, unless you really are on a very tight budget and can put up with the hassle that often comes with cheaper suppliers.
And you will usually pay a premium to keep phone and broadband separate, a cost that I think the suppliers would struggle to justify if looked at in detail.