cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shifting master socket

qwango

Shifting master socket

Hi
I'm about to start a refurb of my house. At the moment, the main telephone cable from the street goes over the roof of the house, down the back wall, in through an airbrick, then run internally through to the hallway, where there is a small sealed box (about matchbox size), immediately next to the master socket (NTE5 type). I'd like to get as much of this wiring removed as possible and move the master socket to somewhere well out of the way (probably in the under stairs cupboard). What do I need to do to arrange this and how can I find out how much it will cost? I'll be looking to upgrade to fibre at the same time - will this make it more straightforward/cheaper to do (i.e. because an engineer would be coming out anyway?)
thanks
Rob.
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Shifting master socket

Hi there,
To get an official BT engineer to do it will cost £160 which covers the first two hours' work, and we can order this for you. If it goes on further each additional hour is £65. Officially I believe that's the only way it should be done.
qwango

Thanks Matt, that's very helpful. Who should I speak to discuss this further? - I want to make sure everything ties in with the rest of the refurb so requires a bit of advance planning. Cheers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A point to note - the router should be in a well ventilated area to avoid over heating problems - a cupboard may cause problems
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Either raise a ticket at http://contactus.plus.net or give our support team a call, they'll be able to advise and get this booked in for you.
owen

This will not answer your question, but if anyone does a search for moving the master socket my experience might help. You can leave the master socket where it is and move your router with the use of a long ethernet cable. That saved me £160 right there Smiley
NedLudd
Grafter

When I upgraded to fibre my master socket was no where near where BT thought it was. I had already moved it to where I wanted it to be!
The OR engineer came and did his bit without reference to where the master socket should have been. In fact, he did more than that, he pulled though an extension across the roof space. He was a very helpful guy!
Geoff,
York.