cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe Crackling on Landline

Sarah1955
Dabbler

Severe Crackling on Landline

For the last 4 days, I have had crackling on my landline. I live on my own, and work from home the landline is vital for my business and for my own communication with family as the property is isolated the mobile signal can be intermittent as well.

The broadband is working as well as it usually does, so I would like someone to check the line.

I am not able to get hold of anyone by calling, there is no chat, so can someone tell me how I am supposed to report this fault? It is very irritating.

19 REPLIES 19
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Severe Crackling on Landline

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Sarah1955@Gel has missed the phone troubleshooter off his list - you need to follow this link: https://www.plus.net/help/phone/

John
Sarah1955
Dabbler

Thanks, but I have done all the troubleshooting tips on the website, and connected to the quiet line where the crackling does not disappear. The noise is not constant, but seems to be worse later in the day. I live some way away from the exchange, and the phone lines are very definitely exposed, and old. Because I can't talk to anyone, I am not able to report the fault. If I could chat to you I would.

jab1
Legend

Sarah, if you have completed that phone troubleshooter I linked, it is possible it has raised a fault report without you being aware as it is automatic.

If you log into your account, click 'Manage Account' and then the 'Help Assistant' link at the bottom of the list under 'Account Details' is there an open question listed?

FYI, I am not Plusnet staff, merely a customer like yourself.

John
Sarah1955
Dabbler

no John there are no open questions, I shall attempt to get through to customer services, been hanging on for 20 minutes already, but was expecting a long wait!

Thank you for you help.

Sarah

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi @Sarah1955

Thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I can see you got in touch with our team earlier today and the fault was indeed raised. To view all updates please click here. 

The next update is due 22/07 from what I can see - this can be anytime up to midnight. 

Thanks. 

Sarah1955
Dabbler

My telephone handset is now dead, and a message comes up across the screen which reads, Call Already In Progress. I am hoping this means the line is being worked on.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Could be @Sarah1955 

I would give it until tomorrow or maybe later on today and see if notice any improvement.

Sarah1955
Dabbler

The landline is still dead, and it's causing so many headaches now. My mobile signal is not the best, and trying to talk to clients, I work from home, is nigh on impossible. Is there any chance that this can be resolved asap, I feel like I'm living in the the 18th century, not the 21st! 

jab1
Legend

@Sarah1955 As @Mads said, the fault is reported to BT/OR and you are at their mercy, I'm afraid.

Without giving anything personal away, what did the linked ticket  say?

John
Alex
Community Veteran

Sarah,

Sounds like you're going to need an engineer visit.

Have you got spare landline phones you can test? To rule it out being your phone.

To me, that sounds unlikely so you will need a visit.

jab1
Legend

@Alex A BT/OR investigation is already underway, and it appears to be an external fault.

John
Sarah1955
Dabbler

The final message I got on my ticket was,

The Question 203986172 has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - Phone Faults - Logged

Yes they have accepted it is an external fault, because initially the crackling was intermittent, and started last Wednesday, I didn't report it until it was completely impossible to hear on Saturday. 

I sincerely hope they get this fixed by their absolute deadline tomorrow night!

Thank you.

Sarah. 

Alex
Community Veteran

Yep this has happened to me.

The engineer who looked at it was very good. He the problem solved in around half an hour. I gave him a score (£20) and said "Thank you, get yourself a drink on me".

That is how I work in life, if you show me respect (he did). You get it back from me.